Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
avaknin
New Contributor II

FortiClient on New Windows 11 laptop connects on WiFi but fails on wired network

I am trying to connect with the latest FortiClient VPN version: 7.0.5.0238

I have an old Windows 10 laptop that connects without any problem both on WiFi and wired network.

However my new Windows 11 laptop can connect only on WiFi.

Please help

25 REPLIES 25
sniper8952
New Contributor

I also have an Asus notebook with a Lenovo USB-C dock (not Thunderbold) Windows 11. I also have the problem that when I am connected via the LAN cable, then the VPN does not work. Over WLAN it works without any problems. This problem exists since at least October 2022. With an old driver it works until this is updated.

It can not be that Fortinet does not manage to fix the problem for a year ...

sns-max
New Contributor

did anyone find a soution to this?

Installing the older version of the realtek driver (Lenovo Docking station) works, but is not that great of a solution. The newest version of the VPN-only client 7.0.9.0493 is installed.

leonardcpdario
New Contributor

@avaknin wrote:

I am trying to connect with the latest FortiClient VPN version: 7.0.5.0238

I have an old Windows 10 laptop that connects without any problem both on WiFi and wired network. And all website open normally. 

However my new Windows 11 laptop can connect only on WiFi.

Please help

Basic checks:

• Double-check the cable: Ensure your Ethernet cable is securely plugged into both the laptop and the router/modem. Try a different cable if possible.
  • Verify adapter settings: On your Windows 11 laptop, confirm the wired network adapter is enabled and set to "Obtain an IP address automatically." Disable any proxy settings.
  • Disable other network adapters: Temporarily disable any other network adapters like Bluetooth or virtual adapters to avoid conflicts.
  • Restart everything: Reboot your laptop, router/modem, and FortiClient. Sometimes a simple restart can fix glitches.

2. FortiClient settings:

• Check firewall/antivirus: Your security software might be interfering. Temporarily disable firewalls and antivirus programs to see if that helps.
  • Reinstall FortiClient: Try uninstalling and reinstalling FortiClient on your Windows 11 laptop. Download the latest version directly from Fortinet.
  • Review logs: Check FortiClient's logs for any error messages related to the wired connection. They might offer clues about the issue.

3. Advanced troubleshooting:

• Update network drivers: Outdated drivers can cause connectivity problems. Update your Windows 11 network adapter drivers to the latest version.
  • Force IPv4: Try manually setting your IP address and DNS server in the adapter settings for the wired connection. You can find instructions online or contact your network administrator for the correct values.
  • Check MTU: Some users have reported success by adjusting the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size. Search online for instructions on how to do this for your specific adapter.
  • Network adapter compatibility: There's a known issue with certain Realtek NICs and FortiClient on Windows 11 causing wired connection problems. If you have a Realtek NIC, try updating its drivers or consider alternative VPN solutions.
mle2802
Staff
Staff

Hi @avaknin,

There is some cases where Window 11 cannot work with FortiClient accordingly. Can you please try with wifi or download this window driver 10.59.20 if you are using Realtek adapter

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit...

Wordgamer22
New Contributor

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to  flush DNS settings.

AlanB

That was among the first things I tried and it made no difference for me at all. So far, the only working solution I know of is to revert to a Windows 10 version of the driver, as others in this thread have suggested.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors