Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tomaira
New Contributor

FortiClient for Mac OS - how to disable "components updated" notification permanently?

Very often (1-2 times per day?) FortiClientAgent shows a little banner style notification saying like "FortiClient components have been updated". I couldn't care less about this - especially as there is no way to know exactly what has been updated and what the effect is.

Therefore I have tried to turned off all notifications for FortiClientAgent in the Mac OS Notification settings, but it seems that FortiClient somehow manages to allow itself to show those pesky banner notifications again, because they keep coming back. Is this a bug or is there another way to permanently disable those notifications from the client? I have tried to look through preferences etc. but can't find anything.

I am on OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 (14C1514) and am using FortiClient 5.2.3.370.

6 REPLIES 6
redrum
New Contributor

I get around 10 notifications a day. It would be very nice if there was a way to turn off notifications.

Thank you.

C4
New Contributor

Same issue.  any replies/thoughts?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Have you looked at your xml cfg

I believe to answer the 1st part if you don't want a update set the update value to 0

e.g

<update>0</update>

You can also  set the logging of updates in the log_event and  remove the schedule functions. if your still does not work set the update interval to the max of 24hours

Here's my conf file and grep update   macbookken:~ kfelix$ cat Untitled.conf | grep update             <update>0</update>         <update>             <update_action>disable</update_action>               <scheduled_update>                 <update_interval_in_hours>24</update_interval_in_hours>             </scheduled_update>         </update> macbookken:~ kfelix$  

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
C4
New Contributor

That looks right, but I do not know the location of the config file on the mac client.  Thanks for the tip, I'll look for the file now.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

HOWTO

[ul] have admin rights backup up the conf from  fCclient preferences download the conf follow the fortinet xml  client documentation unix grep/vi the file for the values[/ul]

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
vpnuser
New Contributor

To help anyone looking for the solution, let me explain it clearly, as many forums don't seem to have explanations written in clear English on how to find the initial XML configuration file to edit.

To get the XML, in the top menubar click FortiClient > Preferences. Go to the General tab, then click "Backup". Do not checkmark "protect" as this will encrypt the XML file, making it impossible for you to edit. Save the .conf file somewhere easy, like your desktop.

Next, use your favorite text editor (vim, TextEdit, etc.) to open the .conf file. Do a text search in the file for "bubble" and you should find a line that looks something like this (mine was around line #177): 

<show_bubble_notifications>1</show_bubble_notifications>

The fix to the issue is to change the "1" to a "0", to make the line look like:

<show_bubble_notifications>0</show_bubble_notifications>

Next, simply save the file, then in the FortiClient preferences where you previously clicked "Backup", click "Restore" and select the file you just updated. Your changes should take place immediately, and can be confirmed once you connect to your VPN again. 

Enjoy your VPN without the spamming messages!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors