Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ronen_beitelmajer
New Contributor

FortiClient for Android - Split DNS feature

Hi,

Issue: Split DNS not working for SSL-VPN on Android

Versions:

Forticlient VPN - version 7.0.3.0037

Forticlient 6.0 - version 6.0.3.0197

Fortigate 2000E - 6.4.2.1723

Device - Samsung S21 Ultra, Android 11

I have a Fortigate 2000E in which I configured SSL-VPN with split tunneling and split DNS features.
When connecting with a Windows PC, everything works fine:

I get the required local routes, I get DNS reponses to those routes from my local DNS and I keep getting Internet DNS entries from my system's interface (configured currently as 8.8.8.8).

When I try to do the same with Forticlient on Android I get routing to the local IP addresses, but the only DNS I'm having is the system's DNS (from my ISP) - for the record, connection to local DNS IP has an active policy for SSL-VPN users.

I tried configuring a DNS on the VPN tunnel, but then I only get to query that DNS, for both the internet and the local subnet I configured for split DNS.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello ronen_beitelmajer,

Thank you for using the Community Forum.

I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

I have found this answer:

This i my solution for DNS resolution problem for SSL VPN connections from Android client.
Open CLI, and run:

config vpn ssl settings
set dns-suffix "yourlocaldomain.com"
set dns-server1 IP_address_of_your_local_dns_server
end

This helped in my case. What is interesting, the IP address resolution for Windows clients works fine without setting CLI commands.

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors