Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ikovac
New Contributor

FortiClient and USB Mass Storage Device issue (or bug)

Hi, On some computers USB memory stick or any Mass storage device (like cameras) don' t work after Forticlient is installed and computer wakes from sleep. I can easily reproduce the issue. Lenovo 420s laptops with 32-bit Win 7 Enterprise have a Mass storage device not working in Device manager after laptop wakes from sleep and the newest Forticlient is installed. Windows driver properties says that it cannot load driver since one is already loaded in memory. I could provide additional info if you need it for analysis (didn' t check System events for errors yet). This laptop model has Renesas USB 3.0 controller, and USB Mass Storage Device has the default Microsoft driver. Laptops were upgraded to latest Lenovo drivers, and BIOS was flashed too. I could check the Renesas controller driver though (not sure which one is installed and I am away from Lenovo laptops). Restarting a laptop fixes the issue, until next sleep. If I uninstall Forticlient, everything works fine. I have no problems on an Acer Laptop with 64-bit Windows 8 and Intel USB 2.0 controller, so it must be something with Renesas USB 3.0 controller or drivers and Forticlient on Lenovo 420s. Can anyone confirm the issue on other (probably USB 3.0) laptops or desktops that go to sleep? Just install Forticlient, restart, plug in USB Mass storage device (no mice or keyboards) - it will work. Put computer to sleep, wake the computer and try USB Mass storage device again. It should make error connecting sound and you would not see the Storage device. Restart computer and voila - it works again until next sleep. And please state the USB controller driver and Mass Storage Device driver that you have. (Device manager->Universal Serial Bus controllers ->USB Mass Storage Device (and your USB controller respectively)->Properties->Driver tab). I would like to find out if it is the Forticlient issue or USB 3.0 controller driver issue. Unfortunately in any case it currently affects companywide deployments. :) Thanks in advance! Cheers, Ivan
2 REPLIES 2
Franknozly
New Contributor

I don' t seem to have this issue on my Sony Vaio Pro 13. Usb 3.0 or Usb 2.0 both work on win 8 after coming back from sleep state. Haswell processor, Intel host controller. Intel(R) 8 Series USB Enhanced Host Controller Microsoft Mass Storage Driver 6.2.9200.16632. Similarly, Lenovo support forums shows that users have had problems with resume from sleep with USB devices as well. It seems Lenovo is aware of the issue and has released bios updates to fix these specific issues but has not been successful. http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/USB-ports-don-t-work-after-resuming-from-standby-with-Windows-8/td-p/1004929
ikovac
New Contributor

Thanks for the info Franknozly. Yes, I am trying to see whether it is Lenovo issue only or not. It could be this issue that you mention, but if I uninstall Forticlient then it works with USB mass storage when coming out of the sleep. Strange.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors