Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
chipcoit
New Contributor II

FortiClient & Static DNS Entry

Hello FortiCommunity,

We currently are using FortiClient with an EMS server and noticed when we connect to the VPN we received our specified internal DNS on both our physical adapter (wifi/lan) and our vpn adapter. Our specified internal DNS are our domain controllers that run DNS services.

The issue we are having with this is that sometimes the FortiClient software disconnects or something in windows causes the application to crash. My assumption is when you hit the disconnect button on the FortiClient it removes routes and/or the static DNS entry. With that process not taking place the end result is that the static DNS that was not cleared, thus leaving the PC unable to connect to the internet. 

Our users working from home do not get admin access to their network adapters as well. The combination leaves the end user unable to connect to the internet and our remote tool useless. Do you guys know why the static DNS is set- can we set this to obtain automatically? I did try "same as client system DNS" but our firewall uses the FortiNet's DNS for what I can only assume is DNS filtering along with other items. 

Is there a way to stop these crashes or disconnects? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Michael

1 Solution
chipcoit
New Contributor II

We are on version 6.4.3 for most of our endpoints. After upgrading to version 7.0.6 via deployment on the EMS server- this seemed to fix the issue. Regardless if a user switches wifi networks or if the network gets dropped the static DNS entries get removed successfully now.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Michael,

Thank you for using the Community Forum.

I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Michael,

We are still looking for an answer to your question.

We will come back to you once we will find it.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
OwenW
New Contributor II

I have similar problem with AD -> DNS plus VPN. It seems that any wireless blip causes the DNS to overwrite back to local DNS, which ends in conflict. Please have a look at that and see if the issues interact.

KunalRamnani

Hello Anthony_E /Community

Greetings!

Requesting you to resolve static DNS entries error whenever network getting disconnected with Forticlient VPN of version 6.4.3. please suggest if any changes to be done in order to avoid static DNS entries. 

Thanks and regards

Kunal Ramnani

Fileguy

Hi Anthony, we are using Forticlient 7.0.8 currently and we still have users who get home and somehow their wi-fi adapter has a static DNS entry that are the DNS servers our LAN uses.   Any suggestions on how to get rid of this issue would be appreciated.

tschulten
New Contributor II

We updated everyone to use Forticlient 7.2.0 recently and have seen this issue start popping up again. I hadn't seen it in months and all of a sudden 4 or 5 incidents since the update.

JEG19ONine

I'm just stumbling on this problem myself. Did you ever get a resolution? I'm still running 7.0.x. I was hoping the 7.2 update would do the trick

Fileguy

I see it a few times a week.  I'm also seeing a few users where the check boxes for DNS settings under the Advanced button and DNS tab in the IPv4 settings are becoming unchecked which then breaks the ability to connect for one of our critical programs we to use which uses DNS to verify the client connection.  We are just starting to go to 7.2 so hopefully that fixes it for good.

JEG19ONine

I've been struggling with one user for a month, finally found that his DNS were all set to static for the wifi NIC. Difficult to fix because A) users don't have admin rights, B) bad DNS means no internet, means no remote tools. Finally got him working, and employee 2 says "I heard your fixed 1s problem. I have the same issue." So I start digging deeper and 5 minutes into research I find the FortiClient/DNS issue. Very frustrating that it appears to have existed for years too!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors