Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
chipcoit
New Contributor II

FortiClient & Static DNS Entry

Hello FortiCommunity,

We currently are using FortiClient with an EMS server and noticed when we connect to the VPN we received our specified internal DNS on both our physical adapter (wifi/lan) and our vpn adapter. Our specified internal DNS are our domain controllers that run DNS services.

The issue we are having with this is that sometimes the FortiClient software disconnects or something in windows causes the application to crash. My assumption is when you hit the disconnect button on the FortiClient it removes routes and/or the static DNS entry. With that process not taking place the end result is that the static DNS that was not cleared, thus leaving the PC unable to connect to the internet. 

Our users working from home do not get admin access to their network adapters as well. The combination leaves the end user unable to connect to the internet and our remote tool useless. Do you guys know why the static DNS is set- can we set this to obtain automatically? I did try "same as client system DNS" but our firewall uses the FortiNet's DNS for what I can only assume is DNS filtering along with other items. 

Is there a way to stop these crashes or disconnects? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Michael

1 Solution
chipcoit
New Contributor II

We are on version 6.4.3 for most of our endpoints. After upgrading to version 7.0.6 via deployment on the EMS server- this seemed to fix the issue. Regardless if a user switches wifi networks or if the network gets dropped the static DNS entries get removed successfully now.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
tschulten

As in the past for me, the problem seems to disappear on its own. My company would have updated to a new release when available, so it's possible that 7.2.1 fixed it for us.

Don't update to 7.2.2 if you can avoid it. Nothing but problems with that version. Probably should have rolled back our deployment, but we're hanging on with it for now.

chipcoit
New Contributor II

We are on version 6.4.3 for most of our endpoints. After upgrading to version 7.0.6 via deployment on the EMS server- this seemed to fix the issue. Regardless if a user switches wifi networks or if the network gets dropped the static DNS entries get removed successfully now.

SubaruEurope

We are on 7.0.9 and the issue is still present.

OffroadingConvoy4
New Contributor

We still have this problem on 7.0.7 and are now considering other solutions. We've had this problem since we first got this product.

matthew_wlf

We have the same problem with forticlient 7.2.3 not on all clients but on a few. I think this problem could be related with windows..

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors