Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jakson
New Contributor

FortiClient alternative for Linux with IPSec VPN support

Hi,

I use FortiClient for Windows with FortiToken Mobile to create IPSec VPN connection and everything works fine.

Currently I'm switching from Windows 7 to Linux CentOS 7 and I'm very surprised that FortiClient for Linux doesn't have option to create a VPN connection (IPSec VPN or SSL-VPN).

How to create IPSec VPN connection in CentOS Linux?

What FortiClient alternative for Linux do you recommend? (I need just IPSec VPN)

1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

OpenSwan/StrongSwan

Pro:

- its in the standard repos in most linuxes.

- it gives you millions of config options

- open source

- once configured it is easy to use even without gui

- does not touch your routing table as it uses iptables rules to forward traffic to vpn (which it creates automagically upon connecting the vpn)

- the VPN Forum on forum.fortinet.com has a thread about it that gives a load of hints and help.

Con:

- no gui that had enough config options for me (but who needs a gui *g*)

- millions of config options plus poor doc and howtos

- IPSec only (but who ants ssl if one can have ipsec *g*)

- I cannot say if two factor auth will work with it as I never tried that.

there also is a linux version of the shrewsoft ipsec client but this is only available as source code and does only compile on current linuxes with a lot of dirty hacking. It did run afterwards but never really worked.

It simply is too old and no longer maintained.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors