Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RinoBroer
New Contributor III

FortiClient VPN is stuck at 98% when connected to iPhone hotspot

When I connected to my iPhone's hotspot, the FortiClientVPN stays stuck always at 98% during login.

My iPhone is at that moment connected to a 4G network here in the Netherlands.

What I noticed is the problem is fixed if I disable IPv6 support on my wireless adapter in Windows.

Wi-Fi Properties.png

See below the logs of the FortiClient VPN (debug level)

2022-07-07 18_51_39.png

I am using version 7.0.6 of the FortiClient VPN on Windows 10 21H2, the firewall is running FortiOS 7.0.6

Do more people have this problem?

Rino Broer
Rino Broer
1 Solution
RinoBroer
New Contributor III

This problem is not present in FortiClient VPN 6.4.9.1797. Have therefore switched back to 6.4

Rino Broer

View solution in original post

Rino Broer
6 REPLIES 6
RinoBroer
New Contributor III

There is no problem with the hotspot, it is my personal iPhone. I have a working connection and in addition the FortiClient VPN will give another message in case no connection can be made to the gateway at all. At 98%, that step has already been passed.

Unfortunately Fortinet does not provide support on the free FortiClient VPN software, so I am curious if possibly others have run into this problem as well.

Rino Broer
Rino Broer
BumbleBee1
New Contributor

Hi
I'm facing exact same issue and have the same setup Forticlient free version, iPhone XR hotspot on Bell network in Ontrio Canada but I'm using Mac and I'm not sure how to disable the IPV6 in the adaptor settings.
Will try to find how to change the adaptor settings on mac and will share if this works for me.

I checked the fortiClient logs and I find an error everytime the connection reaches up to last stage and doesn't complete: 

[sslvpn:EROR] unknown:0 failed to set ipv6 address

I suspect the issue is in the FortiGate configuration, this is a configuration on the VPN server side. But the IT team of the organization I'm working  are just saying its a hotspot issue.

Here is a KB article from FortiGate to do this configuration on the server side to support IPV6. IT administrators need to do this.
Technical Tip: How to setup the FortiGate to assign IPv6 addresses

BumbleBee1

Hey

I did disable the IPV6 and the client was able to connect. So it is confirmed the root cause is "FortiGate VPN server's iability to assign IPV6 addresses."
If your network/internet service provider supports IPV6 and prefers IPV6 then its the IT administration (managing the VPN server) in your company who has to configure FortiGate to support IPV6.

RinoBroer
New Contributor III

This problem is not present in FortiClient VPN 6.4.9.1797. Have therefore switched back to 6.4

Rino Broer
Rino Broer
HLoetsch
New Contributor

For MacOS you can use the following command to disbale IPv6 on Wi-Fi adapter:

$ sudo networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi

and to control:

$ networksetup -getinfo Wi-Fi

f_gohierre
New Contributor

I had exactly the same symptoms, solved when I disabled IPv6 on my Wi-Fi network card.
My configuration: Windows 11 22H2, iPhone X as network access point, FortiClientVPN 7.0.8.0427

Thanks for the tip.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors