Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Vlid
New Contributor

FortiClient VPN in KUbuntu 22.04 with SSO gets stuck in "Connecting..."

I'm facing issues while trying to set up FortiClient VPN on KUbuntu 22.04. The installation goes smoothly after manually adding a dependency package. However, when I attempt to connect using Single Sign On (SSO), the authentication window briefly opens and closes, leaving me stuck on the "Connecting..." stage. This is the window where I should enter my username and password and then use a 2FA app for verification.

Even after enabling "Use external browser as user-agent for saml user authentication," the problem persists. The same behavior occurs, and an external browser doesn't open as expected.

I had no trouble with this kind of connection on Kubuntu 20.04. Has anyone managed to successfully establish this type of connection on (K)Ubuntu 22.04?

1 Solution
norbertleupi

Hi,

I'm no Linux geek. After searching/testing I managed to get connected on a Kubuntu 22.04 LTS clean installation with FortiClient Ver. 7.2.1 and/or 7.2.2

Prereq was a installation of the gnome-shell:
$sudo apt update && sudo apt ugrade
$sudo apt install gnome-shell

But after this there are several redundant app installed on the system, coming from the gnome shell installation.
To reduce this I would be happy if a tech from Fortinet would find out whats missing on Kubuntu LTS 22.04 with KDE Plasma 5.24.7 or higher and no Gnome

Kind regards
Norbert

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
norbertleupi

Hi,

I'm no Linux geek. After searching/testing I managed to get connected on a Kubuntu 22.04 LTS clean installation with FortiClient Ver. 7.2.1 and/or 7.2.2

Prereq was a installation of the gnome-shell:
$sudo apt update && sudo apt ugrade
$sudo apt install gnome-shell

But after this there are several redundant app installed on the system, coming from the gnome shell installation.
To reduce this I would be happy if a tech from Fortinet would find out whats missing on Kubuntu LTS 22.04 with KDE Plasma 5.24.7 or higher and no Gnome

Kind regards
Norbert

Vlid

Thank you so much! After months of trying various methods unsuccessfully (and ultimately resorting to using a VM), I can now finally run Forticlient VPN directly on my system.

t0mX
New Contributor

Hi, I am also getting the same problem from the second time I launch and use the FortiClient GUI since installing it onwards. I am on standard Ubuntu 22.04. For me, the first time I open and use it after installation, everything works fine and I can enter my MFA code in a window that pops up after I enter my username and password. The next day, after a reboot, after entering username and password, it just hangs on "Connecting..." forever.

Could you please help me resolve this problem?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors