Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
danjahner
New Contributor

FortiClient VPN Problems With OSX 10.11 El Capitan

I installed the GM candidate of Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan and my FortiClient VPN has stopped working. It completes the login, but after connection, no data is transferred - the incoming and outgoing freeze. It is a split tunnel connection and neither network or internet traffic works. 

I tried disabling the firewall and System Integrity Protection, but neither had any effect. 

9 Solutions
lzs
New Contributor II

I've been trying since the first public beta, and now on the final GM Candidate. The VPN problem is there. Basically, what is wrong is that OS X's resolver is sending traffic out through the primary (original) network interface, even though the route table correctly shows that the VPN tunnel (ppp0) should be used.

When you use a command like nslookup, the DNS traffic goes through the VPN tunnel (ppp0) properly.

DNS name resolution  fails because my VPN client is told to use my corporate DNS server, but my corporate DNS server refuses to serve name queries from outside the corporate network. When the FortiClient VPN is connected, OS X's name resolution traffic arrives at the DNS server with the client's public Internet IP address, and hence is refused by my DNS server.

Technically, this looks like an OS X bug. Or, perhaps there really is something wrong that FortiClient is dong. Either way, I hope FortiNet can rectify or take it up with Apple to fix El Capitan.

View solution in original post

Sridhar
New Contributor III

Facing the same issue. Latest FortiClient(5.3*) did not fix it.

But, FortiClient 4.0.2082 did not have any such issues(though it occasionally stops tunneling on its own).

Waiting for a fix like everyone, but 4.0.2082 is letting me work for time being.

hansbogert

I've gotten it to "work" by getting the DNS to use ppp0 and some route magic. Explanation is on: http://serverfault.com/questions/728702/how-to-get-forticlient-working-in-osx-el-capitan/728707#7287...

Let's hope either party fixes this, because running scripts after establishing VPN is quite cumbersome.

Chris_Lin_FTNT
kevinboos

Chris.Lin wrote:

There is a new private build here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58793690/mac/FortiClient_5.4.0.493_macosx.dmg

Would you guys give it a try?

It works for now! Thanks!

tommy765

Just ran El Capitan updates and it still does not work - bummer

shenight

Chris.Lin wrote:

Here is another interim build b499.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58793690/mac/FortiClient_5.4.0.499_macosx.dmg

5.4.1 release may be available at the end of February.

P.S. b493 from previous post is different from the official 5.4.0 b493. Developer made the change after 5.4.0 was released.

Thanks ! I had same problems that other people since 3 months with forticlient and this new build fixes the issue!!! Great job!

Chris_Lin_FTNT
soundso

After update to MacOS Sierra the client 5.4.1 works as expected.... 

146 REPLIES 146
logimano
New Contributor

Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire default 192.168.1.1 UGSc 24 0 en0 1.1.1.1 <vpnipadress> UH 4 0 ppp0 <otheripaddress1>/32 1.1.1.1 UGSc 1 0 ppp0 <otheripaddress2>/24 1.1.1.1 UGSc 2 0 ppp0

Sridhar
New Contributor III

brudy wrote:

I just tried El Capitan with the built in Cisco IPSec VPN client. Same behavior. IP does work, DNS fails. 

In this case no 3rd party software is involved. It is pure Mac. Looks like the problem needs to fixed in El Capitan and not in the FortiClient.

For me, FortiClient 4.0.2082 works without major issues in El Capitan. I think this issue might be the result of some major networking changes in El Capitan.

jweber
New Contributor

Sridhar wrote:

Waiting for a fix like everyone, but 4.0.2082 is letting me work for time being.

Do you know of a place to download it from?

jweber
New Contributor

Sridhar wrote:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that version doesn't support FortiToken, so it won't help me.

lubyou
New Contributor

Tech support wrote:

Currently there is no supported version of FortiClient for Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

The following table lists FortiClient (Mac OS X) 5.2.4 product integration and support information.

Desktop Operating Systems

l Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion

l Mac OS X v10.9 Mavericks

l Mac OS X v10.10 Yosemite

The next version of FortiClient has a tentative release date of the 2nd week of October.

According to tech support...

Sridhar
New Contributor III

lubyou wrote:
Tech support wrote:
Currently there is no supported version of FortiClient for Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan. The following table lists FortiClient (Mac OS X) 5.2.4 product integration and support information.Desktop Operating Systemsl Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lionl Mac OS X v10.9 Mavericksl Mac OS X v10.10 Yosemite The next version of FortiClient has a tentative release date of the 2nd week of October.
 According to tech support...

Second week of Oct doesn't sound bad, provided they have a fix for this issue.

patz
New Contributor

Hi..

I tried to use forticlient on: MAC v10.9, v10.10 and v10.11. All of them install the client, I can connect in a VPN using IPSEC but the traffic doesn´t pass from MAC to VPN. I´ve a opened ticket with Fortinet and Engineer doesn´t solve this.

Does anyone see this problem?

Chris_Lin_FTNT

There seems to be issue with 10.11 resolver. When it sends DNS request through tunnel, it uses the IP from physical interface, instead of the tunnel interface.

We opened a ticket with Apple and we are waiting for their response.

patz

To me... I can´t ping any IP Address. And If I use this same connection on Windows all work fine..

lubyou

Chris.Lin wrote:

There seems to be issue with 10.11 resolver. When it sends DNS request through tunnel, it uses the IP from physical interface, instead of the tunnel interface.

We opened a ticket with Apple and we are waiting for their response.

That means that the upcoming Forticlient release will not have a fix for the DNS issue on 10.11, does it not?

patz@procergs.rs.gov.br wrote:

Hi..   I tried to use forticlient on: MAC v10.9, v10.10 and v10.11. All of them install the client, I can connect in a VPN using IPSEC but the traffic doesn´t pass from MAC to VPN. I´ve a opened ticket with Fortinet and Engineer doesn´t solve this.   Does anyone see this problem?

Seeing how you encounter issues on OS X 10.9-10.11, I do not see how your problem relates to the rest of the thread.

Possibly open another thread and provide details, incl. a proper problem description, config details etc.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors