Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
josh
New Contributor

FortiClient Linux - Connect to Telemetry

Does anyone know whether FortiClient on Linux can be run without the UI requirements?

Ideally I want to deploy on a Ubuntu Server to gain telemetry and vulnerability detection.

4 REPLIES 4
neonbit
Valued Contributor

I've installed it on Ubuntu 18.04 and it was able to detect and block virus downloads. Can't seem to get it to connect to the FGT though.

josh
New Contributor

neonbit wrote:

I've installed it on Ubuntu 18.04 and it was able to detect and block virus downloads. Can't seem to get it to connect to the FGT though.

Was this on Ubuntu Server (i.e. no GUI)? Because when I use dpkg or apt to install the .deb package it wants to bring a whole lot of gtk related dependencies along with it.

neonbit
Valued Contributor

Yup it was Ubuntu Server 18.04 (no GUI).

Installed via 'dpkg -i forticlient.deb'.

Once installed tried to download the eicar test file via wget and could confirm it was blocking it (didn't download file and the logs showed it sent the file to quarantine).

josh
New Contributor

Thanks, got it installed after trying again. Not sure why it was hung up last time.

If anyone is reading this and trying to install on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS you need to the following depedencies in addition to the .deb FortiClient installation file:

gir1.2-appindicator-0.1 gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-2.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 indicator-application libappindicator1 libappindicator3-1 libdbusmenu-glib4 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libdbusmenu-gtk4 libindicator3-7 libindicator7 libpangoxft-1.0-0 libxft2 libgconf2-4 libgconf-2-4

Has anyone had any luck with getting the client to check in to EMS or a FortiGate?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors