Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
miciti
New Contributor II

FortiClient EMS - SMTP STARTTLS without username

Hello everyone,

I am currently testing FortiClient EMS. When trying to set smtp server to STARTTLS a username and password field appears - well I do not have a username password because the mail filter gets verified with our external ip address (microsoft 365 mail connector). 

Any workaround on this? (Having the same smtp server on my fortigate, I do not need username & password there but it seems to be mandatory in FortiClient EMS... ).

5 REPLIES 5
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @miciti ,

According to my research, unfortunately, there is no workaround for this. You can create an account for FortiClientEMS and you can enter that information into the relevant area.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
miciti
New Contributor II

I do not really understand which account I should create for FortiClientEMS. Do you mean a local account on the FortiClient EMS side? (There is no solution to create a user for microsoft 365 mail connector as far as I know).

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @miciti ,

I knew the O365 connector worked like a proxy. Because of that, I said you can create a mail account and enter this information related area.

If O365 doesn't work like this, you need to create a mail account enter this area, and need to give access mail server from FortiClientEMS.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
miciti
New Contributor II

According to "How to set up a multifunction device or application to send emails using Microsoft 365 or Office 36... SMTP Auth will be removed in September 2025 and currently disabled in the Microsoft Security Defaults. SMTP AUTH would be the only solution that works with username / password.

Looking in the future there must be a way to send mails without creating accounts (as the current setup on the FortiGate allows)

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @miciti ,

Thank you for the information. 

You can create a case and you want a feature request from Fortinet. Also, your Fortinet sales representative can forward your request to the internal team.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors