Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FortiNet_Newb
Contributor

FortiClient EMS – Clients reboot without warning during FortiClient upgrade

I updated our FortiClient EMS from 7.07 to 7.2 yesterday.  I then began to deploy the 7.2 client to a subset of our devices to test the upgraded client before rolling it out to everyone.  We are new to EMS and FortiClient so this was our first go around with updating existing clients.

The test clients all upgraded successfully, however, the client machines all rebooted without ANY warning or indication that an upgrade or installation was taking place, even if there was a user logged in.  I do not want to roll it out this way as employees may be in the middle of working on a document or attending a meeting when their machine randomly reboots.

Here are my deployment settings in EMS, what am I doing wrong?

FortiNet_Newb_0-1676466450791.png

Ideally, if they are logged in, I would like the client to be notified that an upgrade is available and to let them install/reboot it when they are ready.  If they are not logged in, then go ahead and install/reboot automatically.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello FortiNet_Newb, 

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello,

We are still looking an answer for your question.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
btan
Staff
Staff

Hello,

With your current setting, FCT should prompt ask for reboot, and user can only postpone maximum of 24 hours.
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/7.2.0/administration-guide/991309/upgrading-forticlie...

Not sure if you have already had a case with us, you may ask your case engineer for a session to see if issue is reproducible.
Attach the logs of one of the affected machine to the ticket for analysis:

C:\Windows\FortiEMSInstaller_logs

Regards,
Bon
FortiNet_Newb

Thanks for the link, everything appears to be configured correctly in EMS.  We are an all Windows 11 22H2 client device environment at the moment and we are definitely not receiving the "Upgrade Schedule dialog" in advance on the endpoints to let endpoint users schedule the upgrade.  It immediately starts uninstalling the existing installation of FCT (without any prompt or notice that it is going to do so), reboots the machine (without any prompt), and then installs the new client after reboot.

I haven't submitted a case just yet, as I was afraid I was missing something obvious first.  Also, I'm in no hurry to install 7.2 on the remaining clients because in my testing the FortiToken Mobile Push no longer works correctly with 7.2 installed.

Can anyone else confirm that the FCT upgrade from 7.07 to 7.2 delivered from EMS worked for them in thier environment, and if so what OS are they using on their clients.

mlr

We have the same issue when trying to upgrade Forticlient from 7.0.7 to 7.0.8.

Forticlient gets uninstalled, client reboots and then Forticlient installs again. No notification at all.

Also testing on Win11. I will try a Win10 client to see if there is any difference.

vabello1
New Contributor

I'm also seeing the same thing here in FortiClient EMS 7.0.8 deploying to my test Windows 11 laptop. It just reboots without warning. The same settings are applied on my side. This used to work in 6.4 without issue, or perhaps it was working in Windows 10 without issue. Both of those things have changed in my test environment. I even downgraded the FortiClient version to 6.4.9 and once again it didn't prompt on the laptop. It just removed it and rebooted while I was sitting on the Windows desktop.

btan

Hi all,

Our Devs team is currently aware of this issue:
Specific to Windows 11 22H2 only , when deploying FCT 7.0.8 or 7.2.0 upgrade, FCT cannot prompt to reboot and always reboot without warning.

This is still under investigation, apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Bon
Mindsvirge

Please note, this still appears to be an issue.   I attempted an upgrade from 7.0.1 to 7.0.8 on a Windows 11 client and the system rebooted without warning.   We will attempt deployment using 3rd party Endpoint Management.     

Zipper265
New Contributor

I'll disagree with the Windows 11 22H2 only designation.  I upgraded from 6.4 to 7.2 on Windows 10 (latest release) about six - eight months back...and i had to "kill" the automated deployment for the same reason as discussed here.  No notifications...instant reboot...no notice...no messages.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors