Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gsi_mhorn
New Contributor

FortiClient 5.4 on Windows 10 Connects but does not route Traffic over SSL VPN

I have several computers running Windows 10 with FortiClient version 5.4.0.0780.  We are a consulting company and connect to one of our clients using an SSL VPN with the FortiClient per their IT Department.  When connecting to the VPN, the connection appears to complete successfully but when once the connection is established, all network connectivity is lost.  While connected you cannot reach anything on the internet by IP or DNS name nor anything on the other end of the VPN tunnel by IP or DNS name.  You can ping the local IP address you are assigned by the VPN server.  As soon as you disconnect from the VPN session your local network connectivity is restored.  

I have read through the documentation and we are not connected to any other VPN clients when this happens.  We also do not have the Cisco VPN Client installed which is known to conflict with the Forticlient.   IPv6 was disabled during testing just to rule that out. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue and have a work around?  Since we don't own a Fortinet product and are just using the free Forticlient, I'm not able to open a ticket with support. 

Thanks for any assistance in advance!

Matt

27 REPLIES 27
jppataki

I have the same problem in ONE machine, I have at least 10 machines with Windows 10 (various builds) working fine but the last installs it started to have this problem. The Store Forticlient doesn't work either in that machine... all the other machines from XP to 10 work fine. Reinstall doesn't fix it either. 

I have no clues whatsoever 

scerazy
New Contributor III

On various W10 machines SSL VPN client works fine. Recently on some machines, DNS stopped resolving (from internal LAN as specifies in SSL VPN setup) & routing stopped.

Worked on one machine remotely, reset Policies on Fortigate & routing kicked in (no idea how or why)

But DNS does not resolve (there ARE correct DNS servers in ipconfig) Noticed that as soon as SSL VPN client connects, DNS service gets set to disabled!

Re-enabling it & starting makes no difference, DNS resolution still does NOT happen for internal hosts, (split tunneling works which means external host resolution works)

Only managed to get this client working, by adding entries to local hosts file (far from ideal)

rjkantor

Hello.  I too have a windows 10 pro installation and I am able to make the vpn connection, but I am unable to ping or access resources within my network.  Has a solution to this issue been found?  I am using the 5.4 version of the fortinet client.  Everything looks good and the same machine worked under windows 7 with the v4 version of the forticlient.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Robb

xjkrcx

We ended up resolving this by realizing there was a conflict between Forticlient and Sonicwall Global VPN client. Removing the GVC enabled Forticlient to behave normally.

rjkantor

Yes, we discovered the same.  Is there a way for both VPN clients to coexist?  Otherwise, I will have to setup a Virtual OS for my sonicwall client.

xjkrcx wrote:

We ended up resolving this by realizing there was a conflict between Forticlient and Sonicwall Global VPN client. Removing the GVC enabled Forticlient to behave normally.

xjkrcx

I didn't take any time to look.  I ended up creating a VM with GVC on it.  What's weird is GVC uses IPSec, where as our Forticlient is using SSL.  and we have no issues installing Sonicwall NetExtender, which is also SSL.

rjkantor

Great minds think alike.  I did the same!  Thank you for taking the time to follow up.

Robb

xjkrcx wrote:

I didn't take any time to look.  I ended up creating a VM with GVC on it.  What's weird is GVC uses IPSec, where as our Forticlient is using SSL.  and we have no issues installing Sonicwall NetExtender, which is also SSL.

Dirty_Wizard_FTNT

rjkantor wrote:

Yes, we discovered the same.  Is there a way for both VPN clients to coexist?  Otherwise, I will have to setup a Virtual OS for my sonicwall client.

Try 5.2.3 FortiClient to have both co-exist.

ikovac

Slightly different situation, but it may be the same cause.

FWF60C with FortiOS 5.2.8

FortiClient 5.4.1.0840, VPN component only

Windows 10 on many tablets and laptops

1. Connects but saying no Internet (yellow triangle).

2. Internet works

3. After some time VPN is down.

A few weeks ago VPN was rock solid for hours and hours...

Tried reinstall, clean install,  restored windows, but it didn't help.

Win7 with the same forticlient on the same fg works as usual.

yongaik

I faced the same issue today (May2017). But forticlient 5.4.3 with Pulse Secure VPN Client version 5.1.

Forticlient VPN session only start passing traffic the moment i uninstall the pulse secure VPN client software. I using window 8.1 64bit.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors