Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sagvan
New Contributor III

FortiAP 231F Slow Wi-Fi Speeds

Hello, everyone

We have already experienced slow Wi-Fi speeds on our campus. We have installed one Fortigate 100F  firewall (version: 6.4.6) and multiple FortiAP 231F access points (version: 7.0).

We have tested the cables and quite various scenarios, but we feel like the devices need to be upgraded.

I just noticed that, as shown in the screenshot, one AP's channel utilization is 77% when there is no single user connected to it. Would an upgrade fix this? What does this even mean? Is it really this problem that is causing slow Wi-Fi speeds? What's the solution?

Thank you all in advance!
11.png

Sagvan Saleem
Sagvan Saleem
12 REPLIES 12
sagvan
New Contributor III

Thank you for the recommendation.
ANy other recommendations?

Sagvan Saleem
Sagvan Saleem
Jakob-AHHG

Not sure.. 

Tools like NetSpot just gives you a quick view of what is 'in the air' and the quality the PC sees from all connections visible.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 14.53.38.png

What platform are you on - Windows, Mac, other?

What speed do you get (and what is you ISP uplink, if you test speed to the world)?

If you are on 5GHz, your profile is set to 20MHz bandwidth, so don't expect more that 100Mbit up/down.
You can set the profile to 40 or 80MHz, but then have less 'channels' to use on each AP, meaning probably more interference, but you get higher speeds on the link.

Jakob Peterhänsel,
IT System Admin,
Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
Jakob Peterhänsel,IT System Admin,Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
sagvan
New Contributor III

Thank you again, dear @Jakob-AHHG 

The case is on different devices. The problem is that on the same SSIDs, on different locations, we have different speeds, so I doubt it that the channels are the problem.

Anyways, I appreciate your recommendations and time.

Sagvan Saleem
Sagvan Saleem
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors