Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mhodgdon
New Contributor

FortiAP 223B High CPU

This morning our three FortiAP 223B' s (managed by a FortiGate 100D) started going offline one, two, or all three at a time. My first thought was to reset our FortiGate 100D unit since it was early enough in the morning it wouldn' t have a major affect on people working. I shut off the FortiGate100D using the switch in the back and then turned it back on. This still didn' t fix the issue so then I thought it was maybe the PoE switches that provide power to the FortiAP' s so I started resetting them one a time. Even after resetting the switches and the FortiGate we are still experiencing the problem. When logged in to the Web GUI for the FortiAP units I notice that the CPU quickly jumps up to 100% and then it " crashes" and reboots (the system uptime actually changes). If I deauthorize the FortiAP units in the wireless controller of the FortiGate unit the CPU never gets about 5% or so and they will stay up (so I' m ruling out its the PoE switches). As soon as I authorize the FortiAP units and people start connecting the CPU goes quickly back up to 100% (with only three of four users connected to a single AP) and it " crashes" . Does anyone have any idea where I could look or what this might be? Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
pcraponi
Contributor II

Post your firmware version of Fortigate and FortiAP regards, Paulo Raponi

Regards, Paulo Raponi

Regards, Paulo Raponi
mhodgdon
New Contributor

FortiGate 100D: v5.0,build4457 (GA Patch 7) FortiAP' s (223B): FP223B-v5.0-build064 I did try downgrading one of the APs to build 60 and 48 but still went down and shot up to 100% cpu. Thanks
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Seeing as nothing else seems to have changed.... Is there a new wireless client that was added recently? (New Laptop, tablet etc)
mhodgdon
New Contributor

Nothing in particular. We have added some new laptops that connect to our WPA2-Enterprise RADIUS authenticated wireless, but there were many that did the same before and nothing added as of this morning when it all started. I tried only using one AP and only broadcasting that more secure WPA2-Enterprise wireless and it still did the same thing.
RaviR_FTNT
Staff
Staff

can you post the configuration of wtp-profile and the VAP' s used ?
yzhang_FTNT
Staff
Staff

How did you check the CPU load on the FAP? Could you post the raw output?
Sean_Toomey_FTNT

Hi mhodgdon, If this is still an issue, please open a case with TAC so that they can get the appropriate debugs. The symptoms you are describing may be related to either a bug or a hardware issue but without further information it is impossible to tell. I am confident we can get you working. Thanks Cheers!
-- Sean Toomey, CISSP FCNSP Consulting Security Engineer (CSE) FORTINET— High Performance Network Security
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors