Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bakhtawar
New Contributor

Forit wifi installer

i need to configure fortinet on wifi beacuse through wifi every device is accessible whether this mobile or laptop so i need to block site .. i have setup with name forticlientonlineinstaller .. so have i buy forti net setup or i configure to wifi through this setup which i download ?

any solutions?

9 REPLIES 9
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Do you want to block those WiFi devices from accessing some destinations? Or want to block somebody from accessing the WiFi devices. In either case, you can control them by policies at the WiFi controller device (FortiGate or FortiWifi) you're using. If you want to block between WiFi devices on the same SSID, you can enable "Block Intra-SSID Traffic" in SSID config.

bakhtawar

no i mean ..

i want to block websites on wifi through forti net client software .. i install this fortinetclient software and i do this and i installed this also in mobile but when i block some categories and then " web security is on " notification is appear then when i access google.com i see google.com is also not open ? why this happen? check attach image please

dbadams
New Contributor II

Hi Bakhtawar,

You might want to try and post this under a different category. It seems that you're having difficulty with the Forticlient application and not a FortiWifi appliance. Regardless, I'll take a stab at helping you if you'd like. 

I went ahead and installed the Forticlient, turned on Web security, and successfully had it block several inappropriate websites without issue. I was able to get to Google.com just fine also.  

According to your screenshot, it looks like everything should be working fine. Are the websites you are trying to block still coming through? Also, what kind of error are you getting when Google is failing to load? Is it a timed out error? An SSL/TLS error? 

I'll keep my VM up that has the Forticlient installed for a bit if you want me to keep troubleshooting this with you. 

Good luck, 

Devin. 

bakhtawar

dbadams wrote:

Hi Bakhtawar,

You might want to try and post this under a different category. It seems that you're having difficulty with the Forticlient application and not a FortiWifi appliance. Regardless, I'll take a stab at helping you if you'd like. 

I went ahead and installed the Forticlient, turned on Web security, and successfully had it block several inappropriate websites without issue. I was able to get to Google.com just fine also.  

According to your screenshot, it looks like everything should be working fine. Are the websites you are trying to block still coming through? Also, what kind of error are you getting when Google is failing to load? Is it a timed out error? An SSL/TLS error? 

I'll keep my VM up that has the Forticlient installed for a bit if you want me to keep troubleshooting this with you. 

Good luck, 

Devin. 

thanku for your post .. is this possible to configure at one time only on wifi instead of installing/configure different devices i.e. laptop/mobile..

i want to configure on my wifi device at only 1 time  so after this when any person connected to my wifi then when he try to connect site which i blocked then want to display block message

is this  possible

dbadams
New Contributor II

You mentioned in an earlier post that you don't have a FortiWifi device. I think what you are trying to accomplish would require you to have a FortiWifi device or at least a FortiGate placed after your current wifi solution. The Forticlient itself is only for end points such as laptops and mobile phones. Now if you did have one of these devices, blocking web traffic is pretty easy and doesn't require the Forticlient at all. The blocking itself happens within the FortiGate. It might be worth the investment. 

dbadams
New Contributor II

Hi Bakhtawar,

Are you using a FortiWifi device? You should be able to configure the web blocking without need to configure the Forticlient on those devices. You simply go to the Security Profiles, Web filtering, and create a new profile with the settings you want to apply. Next you apply this profile within the firewall policy that matches the traffic. 

You can use Forticlient to register users/devices to the Fortigate for greater endpoint control and policy granularity. If you want see what kind of devices are connecting via wifi, you can turn on device discovery. You can even use device types in your firewall policies too to match traffic. 

If you need more help or I was way off, let me know. Good luck! 

Devin. 

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I think he meant Fortinet AP installed through FortiCloud. No FortiGate/FortiWifi as a controller.

bakhtawar

dbadams wrote:

Hi Bakhtawar,

Are you using a FortiWifi device? You should be able to configure the web blocking without need to configure the Forticlient on those devices. You simply go to the Security Profiles, Web filtering, and create a new profile with the settings you want to apply. Next you apply this profile within the firewall policy that matches the traffic. 

You can use Forticlient to register users/devices to the Fortigate for greater endpoint control and policy granularity. If you want see what kind of devices are connecting via wifi, you can turn on device discovery. You can even use device types in your firewall policies too to match traffic. 

If you need more help or I was way off, let me know. Good luck! 

Devin.

No i dont have fortiwifi device.. is this possible without device?

dbadams
New Contributor II

Yes it is possible. I just tested it out myself without my FortiWifi and it blocks sites. You'd have to configure each device individually though and that might be a lot of work. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors