Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
808Rob
New Contributor

Firmware Upgrade v4.0 -> v5.0 GA Patch 1 (Build0147)

Hello, A firmware update is available for my FortiWiFi 60C. This is the first time I' m going through this procedure and wanted to get feedback on a few questions before I did so. I' ve made a backup of the current configuration. I' d like to update the firmware during business lunch hours and am concerned at the amount of time it will take for the task to complete. Here are my other questions and concerns. How long normally would it take to complete the firmware update procedure? Will all my settings remain intact? Is it possible to roll back to a previous firmware version? Any other advice or pointers or is it pretty quick and straight forward? Thanks.

FortiWiFi 60C

FortiWiFi 60C
3 REPLIES 3
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob. Welcome to the forums. Follow the upgrade path outlined in the firmware release notes. I think it outlines 4.0MR3 patch 10 (or higher) is the official supported firmware for upgrading to v5.0GA (do not have the release notes handy to confirm). If the 60C is on 4.0MR1 or 4.0MR2 you will likely need to upgrade it to 4.0MR3. Once on 4.0MR3 the upgrade path is something like 4.0 MR3->4.0MR3 Patch 1->4.0MR3 Patch 5->4.0MR3 Patch 10->V5.0GA patch 1. Things to watch out for: Disk logging is not compatible (v5.0) -- you may need to re-format your log disk after the upgrade. You will lose some settings (release notes will point this out). Yes it is possible to roll back (check the release notes). Learning from personally experience -- follow the upgrade path as closely as possible -- I upgraded my wifi 40C from 4.0.MR3_patch 5 to 5.0 GA patch 1 and ended up having to reformat the boot device and tftp a new firmware image onto it. The actual firmware upgrade process only takes a few minutes (assuming you only need to perform one upgrade). Back up your config before every upgrade -- confirm everything is functioning properly after each upgrade. Perform a " diagnose debug config-error-log read" at the CLI to see what went messed up during the upgrade. Enjoy Life.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
808Rob
New Contributor

Dave, Thank you for the kind welcome and taking the time to answer my questions.

FortiWiFi 60C

FortiWiFi 60C
Faulty_Male
New Contributor III

Hi Rob, From my experience I would advise not to do this during lunch hours just in case there is a problem. We have had all kinds of issues upgrading through major releases so try to give yourself as much time as possible. Others on here don' t seem to have the problems. For example our most recent upgrade resulted in an RMA due to a hard disk issue. For us its not too much of a problem as we run HA clusters but you may not have this to rely on. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. Also a lot of people on this forum recommend a reboot before upgrading - I always do this as a precaution now. Good Luck
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors