Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bigdave2001
New Contributor

Firewall firmware updates

Hello Everyone.  Home user here, been thinking about replacing my old linksys router with a fortigate firewall.  Nothing crazy, probably just the 40F.  Was looking at the support options, can anyone tell me if you're able to download firmware updates for your firewall with out having to pay for a yearly support contract?

Thanks!

1 Solution
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello Dave

No way to download firmware without support contract, I think it is even illegal. And without support you do not have signature update and web filter.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello Dave

No way to download firmware without support contract, I think it is even illegal. And without support you do not have signature update and web filter.

AEK
AEK
bigdave2001

Well that's a bummer. Guess I'll have to look for another option.  Thank you for the reply AEK.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

You might look at it this way: total cost is hardware plus FortiClient contract. FC includes hardware replacement, firmware updates and technical support via web ticket. IMHO everything you need to keep the firewall alive. Warranty is not limited to 2 years, it lasts as long as you've got a valid FC contract.

Of course, the real benefit of a Fortigate lies in it's inline malware scanning. For that, you need to subscribe to a UTM contract which, alas, costs additionally. For private use, you will have to weigh in if that is necessary and worth it.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors