Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
maurizioF
New Contributor

Few questions about Fortigate 40F

Hello everybody, in my SMB I'm looking to switch to a new brand due to headaches had with CISCO ASA 5505/5506/5510 (Java required for GUI based configuration) and then NETGEAR BR200 (definetly a buggy/faulty product). After some reading and video watching, I think a Fortigate 40F can fullfill my needs.

I just need one technical info I can't easily find: I currently have my LAN divided into 4 VLANs but I'd need to have more VLANs, let's say 6-8 VLANs.

Can the Fortigate 40F handle 8 VLANs? Which is the limit?

It should act as default gateway and DCHP server for each VLAN.

It should handle different DHCP ranges for different VLANs.

Is this product able to do this?

Thank you.

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I know where your concerns are coming from. Like old Cisco 8xx series, there was limitations like 8 vlans, etc. Although I don't see any hard limit of VLAN interfaces in the maximum value table:
https://docs.fortinet.com/max-value-table
I think, if there is any hard limit, it would be 255 like a VDOM's limit.
Anyway, I just tested creating 10 VLANs on my test 40F and it didn't spew any errors.

However, the same max value table shows 32 with 40F for DHCP servers. I don't think any overlaps are allowed between those different interfaces so each must be different.

Toshi

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
aionescu
Staff
Staff

Hello @maurizioF , 

Welcome to the community. 

The answer is yes, it can handle more 6-8 VLANs and, of course, you can configure DHCP servers for each VLAN with different ranges.  As for the sizing, I would say not to consider the number of VLANs but the amount of traffic and features you enable. A good starting point is the datasheet available at FortiGate FortiWiFi 40F Series Data Sheet (fortinet.com) and the resource Fortinet Documentation Library

Hope it helps.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I know where your concerns are coming from. Like old Cisco 8xx series, there was limitations like 8 vlans, etc. Although I don't see any hard limit of VLAN interfaces in the maximum value table:
https://docs.fortinet.com/max-value-table
I think, if there is any hard limit, it would be 255 like a VDOM's limit.
Anyway, I just tested creating 10 VLANs on my test 40F and it didn't spew any errors.

However, the same max value table shows 32 with 40F for DHCP servers. I don't think any overlaps are allowed between those different interfaces so each must be different.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors