Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
YtseJam
New Contributor III

Features that will not work in Transparent Mode

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to setup a FG-80C in  transparent mode behind two routers on my network. 

I just want to know  what are the features of fortigate that will not work in transparent mode setup compared to NAT mode?

And what should be the best practice in transparent mode? My purpose is just blocking prohibited sites on my network and control the bandwidth usage on particular users. Is single sign on and traffic shapping works in transparent mode? Can I also access the firewall outside my network while in transparent mode?

Any help, tips, suggestions, reactions will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Jam

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Here's some differences that are NOT in transparent mode

no sslvpn

no dhcp services

no vip or loadbalancing supportno routing to include multicast or unicast or pbr

no dns server

Now to answer the others, yes you can managed the unit if you apply an address on a management interface?

BCPs, will you have to deploy all reasonable firewall security practices,  ideally in your case. I would deploy the unit with allow and then tighten things down after you step thru and understand the unit. This will apply the least interruptions.

TS, I never heard of anyone using TS in L2-mode, but yes you could rate limit users access.

ALL UTMs features that I'm aware of, should be available in L2-mode.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
2 REPLIES 2
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Here's some differences that are NOT in transparent mode

no sslvpn

no dhcp services

no vip or loadbalancing supportno routing to include multicast or unicast or pbr

no dns server

Now to answer the others, yes you can managed the unit if you apply an address on a management interface?

BCPs, will you have to deploy all reasonable firewall security practices,  ideally in your case. I would deploy the unit with allow and then tighten things down after you step thru and understand the unit. This will apply the least interruptions.

TS, I never heard of anyone using TS in L2-mode, but yes you could rate limit users access.

ALL UTMs features that I'm aware of, should be available in L2-mode.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
YtseJam
New Contributor III

Hi Sir Ken,

Good day, thank you for your information regarding transparent mode. I'm not that familiar in this mode of setup because I usually use NAT mode. Although I read already some cookbooks regarding transparent mode but most are just basic guide.

Noted this!

Regards,

Jam 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors