Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dan_Oram
New Contributor

Facebook problems

Hi All, Any help would be greatly appreciated with this issue. My aim is to block Facebook across our domain which i know i can do by blocking the category that it comes under of ' social.......' but the problem that i have is that within our company the marketing department and the rest of the organization needs to still access two fb accounts. these accounts are public so do not require login but i would like to block the rest of fb. I have thought of 2 ways to do this both of which i am struggling with. The first is to wildcard the url so ' facebook.com/xxxxxxxx*' but this doesnt seem to be working and the url changes from this as you browse the profile. The second would be to disable the login button or the ssl traffic coming from that page (Is this even a valid option?!) Many thanks in advance for any replies
6 REPLIES 6
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello and welcome, application control is your friend in this situation; it doesn' t provide much feedback to the user about why fb is blocked, but you can achieve your goal with great granularity using this utm feature. another approach if you want to solve everything with utm webfiltering is defining web filter overrides for your m' kting people if you can identify them univoquely. regards

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Dan_Oram
New Contributor

Hi Abel, Many thanks for your reply. I havent had much exposure to the application control feature, is there a doc i could read or could you give me a few pointers? Thanks again
abelio

sure! http://docs.fortinet.com/fgt/handbook/40mr3/fortigate-utm-40-mr3.pdf (pag 197) for ' overrides' look same doc beginning pag 167) you could also check http://docs.fortinet.com/fgt/fortigate-cookbook-40-mr3.pdf (pag 204) regards

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Ananth
New Contributor

UTM > Application Control list edit or create new list. click on create new In Category select Web in Application select Facebook in Action select Block click ok. and then apply this Application filter to the profiles you want to block FB access. regards Ananth.

Fortigate 80C v5.2.8,build727

Fortigate 100A

Fortigate 80C v5.2.8,build727 Fortigate 100A
Jose_R
New Contributor

How to do i block facebook chat...???
Ing.
Ing.
tmoe
New Contributor

Application Filter, plust FSSO on your domain crontroller. Problem solved. You can filter your Marketing department group differently than the rest of the company.
FG200B - HA Cluster FWF60B (15) - Remote sites MPLS FWF80C (5) - Remote sites IPSEC FLG800 - FortiAnalyzer FMG400B - FortiManager FortiClient (250 seats) Remote users
FG200B - HA Cluster FWF60B (15) - Remote sites MPLS FWF80C (5) - Remote sites IPSEC FLG800 - FortiAnalyzer FMG400B - FortiManager FortiClient (250 seats) Remote users
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors