Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Brian_M
New Contributor III

FWF-61F / How do you enable 2.4 AND 5 GHZ

I hope I didn't get bamboozled on this rather expensive home firewall. The specs show that the WiFi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac but it looks like there's only one radio in the unit so you have to pick between either 2.4 -or- 5 GHz. Is this correct or am I simply doing something wrong?

2 Solutions
andrewbailey
Contributor II

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid you are correct. Most of the FortiWiFi models have only one radio- meaning 2.5G or 5G but not both at the same time.

There is one exception if I recall correctly- a FortiWiFi 50E-2R which does have two radios- but it's a bit of a niche product.

In my view you are always better just getting the Fortigate (in this case the 61F) without WiFi and using a FortiAP. The inbuilt Wireless controller in the Fortigate works well.

The FortiAPs are decent products (arguably not world class). Using FortiAPs provides flexibility for better coverage and AP placement- but obviously makes for higher costs.

If this is home network then I understand cost is an issue- but you won't be disappointment with the Fortigate equipment. It gives great insight into your network and very granular ability to block/ allow traffic. But you do commit yourself to a hefty home IT budget- and quite a bit of learning time.

I guess you purchased a support package? Again you need that to take advantage of web filtering, AV etc.

Kind Regards,

Andy.

View solution in original post

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

100% what @Andy posted. FWFs are 1-radio devices. Fulll stop.

And they are NOT home equipment, by no means. Be glad you took the jump to get to know a desktop enterprise firewall. No comparison to D-Link, Netgear, TP-Link or whatever will hold.

So, with the right expectations this device is capable, easy to learn and covers a wide range of security topics.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
3 REPLIES 3
andrewbailey
Contributor II

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid you are correct. Most of the FortiWiFi models have only one radio- meaning 2.5G or 5G but not both at the same time.

There is one exception if I recall correctly- a FortiWiFi 50E-2R which does have two radios- but it's a bit of a niche product.

In my view you are always better just getting the Fortigate (in this case the 61F) without WiFi and using a FortiAP. The inbuilt Wireless controller in the Fortigate works well.

The FortiAPs are decent products (arguably not world class). Using FortiAPs provides flexibility for better coverage and AP placement- but obviously makes for higher costs.

If this is home network then I understand cost is an issue- but you won't be disappointment with the Fortigate equipment. It gives great insight into your network and very granular ability to block/ allow traffic. But you do commit yourself to a hefty home IT budget- and quite a bit of learning time.

I guess you purchased a support package? Again you need that to take advantage of web filtering, AV etc.

Kind Regards,

Andy.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

100% what @Andy posted. FWFs are 1-radio devices. Fulll stop.

And they are NOT home equipment, by no means. Be glad you took the jump to get to know a desktop enterprise firewall. No comparison to D-Link, Netgear, TP-Link or whatever will hold.

So, with the right expectations this device is capable, easy to learn and covers a wide range of security topics.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

If you don't mind used gear, FAP220B APs are reasonably priced on the used market. Grab one and beat it up. I have a couple placed around my house and could not be more pleased. I negated the need for a stupid wireless extender and having a single point for management is ideal. The broadcast range on them far exceeds what the FWF is able to do any day. I'm using a FWF80CM for management, but the head end isn't really an issue. Most units would be able to handle a small amount of external access points without a sweat.

Hope that helps

By the way, these are dual radio units and you're able to use both bands simultaneously. Radio 1 supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz while radio 2 is only 2.4 GHz.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors