Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bartman10
Contributor

FWF-50E Known broken but still selling them!!!

FWF-50E Hard Lock if you use the WiFi!! They know it and still shipped it!

Ok.. I found out why all 3 FWF-50E they have sent me hard lock and why some of you have no issue with FG-50e. It's because the WiFi in the unit. If you had the WiFi unit and used the WiFi your unit would hard lock also. Why? Because it's a known defect with the power management on the WiFi and affects ALL FWF-50E's and they think FWF-30E's....

THEY KNEW about it and still sold the device!!! Then spent a month of my time collecting logs and goofing around only to tell me.. oh it's a known issue and they think it'll be fixed in 5.4.1 sometime next month or two!!

ARE YOU FREEKING KIDDING ME! Do you truly expect me to believe QA just missed the fact that the WiFi edition of this device HARD LOCKS if infarct you actually use said WiFi?! How do you miss that!! HOW! Or... they knew it and said screw it ship it and we'll fix it later!

Then I spent a month goofing around with support only to have level 3 tell me it's a known issue! He also wanted to collect more logs that nigh as if they didn't waste enough of my time. What's truly amazing is I only discovered this because I took the unit home for training and found it crashed every night. Hard lock up, not even serial cable access. So I would rip apart my home network every nigh after work to make it crash and get them logs or something. They also RMA'd the unit 2 times.

I was supposed to take this unit and install it in Gary Indianan, which is 5 hours 1 way! Can you imagine the fun I would have had with this thing crashing remotely and taking down the office like this?! How much more fun that month of troubleshooting would have been taking production down instead of my kids watching Youtube at home!

Sorry for the RANT and grammar/spelling mistakes.. but I'm so mad I just wanted to vent somewhere and warn any other users so they don't spend all this time goofing around with support like I did on a known broken product.

Thanks,

Bart

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

Friends don't let friends FWF!

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
18 REPLIES 18
Itguy
New Contributor

James_G wrote:
Just to add a different view, got the 51e running and an amazed by the little thing. 60Mbs internet link providing wifi for 350 staff (personal use perk so they don't burn phone data allowance) and its holding up with the hammering without a hitch. Full AV / web filtering / app control, and cpu only at 20% max. Feel your pain on the wifi, but the rest of the unit is sound. Why don't you see if fortinet can recompense you with a non wifi unit and an AP if they can't fix otherwise :)
350+ people on a low end device like the 50E? That's insanity, I wouldn't even put 350 people on a 100D! Cramming 350 people through a 60Mbps pipe is even more insane. How many AP's are you running? For that many clients, or potential clients you should logically have 10-12 AP's minimum if you are keeping each AP under 30 people (which you should be). We start to get a little worried when clients hit 20-25 people per AP!

This is why our company has no issue stealing IT clients from other firms.. Seriously.

GusTech
Contributor II

bartman10 wrote:

[align=center]FWF-50E Hard Lock if you use the WiFi!! They know it and still shipped it![/align]

Ok.. I found out why all 3 FWF-50E they have sent me hard lock and why some of you have no issue with FG-50e. It's because the WiFi in the unit. If you had the WiFi unit and used the WiFi your unit would hard lock also. Why? Because it's a known defect with the power management on the WiFi and affects ALL FWF-50E's and they think FWF-30E's....

THEY KNEW about it and still sold the device!!! Then spent a month of my time collecting logs and goofing around only to tell me.. oh it's a known issue and they think it'll be fixed in 5.4.1 sometime next month or two!!

ARE YOU FREEKING KIDDING ME! Do you truly expect me to believe QA just missed the fact that the WiFi edition of this device HARD LOCKS if infarct you actually use said WiFi?! How do you miss that!! HOW! Or... they knew it and said screw it ship it and we'll fix it later!

Then I spent a month goofing around with support only to have level 3 tell me it's a known issue! He also wanted to collect more logs that nigh as if they didn't waste enough of my time. What's truly amazing is I only discovered this because I took the unit home for training and found it crashed every night. Hard lock up, not even serial cable access. So I would rip apart my home network every nigh after work to make it crash and get them logs or something. They also RMA'd the unit 2 times.

I was supposed to take this unit and install it in Gary Indianan, which is 5 hours 1 way! Can you imagine the fun I would have had with this thing crashing remotely and taking down the office like this?! How much more fun that month of troubleshooting would have been taking production down instead of my kids watching Youtube at home!

Sorry for the RANT and grammar/spelling mistakes.. but I'm so mad I just wanted to vent somewhere and warn any other users so they don't spend all this time goofing around with support like I did on a known broken product.

Thanks,

Bart

Word! i feel the pain! I`m also been in the same situation many times with Fortinet.

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

I have long come to terms that the new deployment for me is a FortiGate with a FortiAP running off of it. We get better connectivity and less issues than with the FortiWIFI units. Seems to just work better.

I have a FortiWIFI 92D in the field that randomly drops wifi connections and stops broadcasting the SSID. very annoying. 

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
bartman10

Wow.. it must be mystic forces.. I was just eyeballing a 92D for something.. thanks for what ever compelled you to post. I've kind of come to the same conclusion. 

FYI.. to this day support still does not have this fixed on the FWF-50E!!! WOW

"All the kings houses..."

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
ShrewLWD

Adding my 2c here...

There is definitely an issue across the wireless 60C, 60D, and 90D, where the devices randomly stop responding to ARP requests.  We set up Spanning on our 90D to capture the traffic, which lead us to the ARP failing clue, but the answer has pretty much been 'ok, try the new firmware.'  Looking at the box visually, it appears to be passing traffic just fine, but no ports will respond.

This started with the 5.2.x firmware.  4.3 and 5.0 did not have this.

The ONLY solution has been to disable the internal WIFI and connect a FAP.  Even setting up a nightly reboot did not help, because its not a time-trigger.

bartman10

Ack.. just got a FWF-60D to replace that 50E junk.. I'll let the tech know to keep an eye out for any issues like this. Thanks for posting!! 

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

@bartman10:

Can't believe it.

You've definitely got a point with the FWF-50E, and as one (the one) way out of this dilemma you've been discussing replacing the FWF with a FGT plus FAP. And now you go with an FWF again...puzzled

Chances are we'll see this thread alive for a long, long time.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
bartman10

The tech had already ordered the FWF-60D before I had a chance to talk with him about this.. also the sales rep said he's not had any issues with the FWF-60D and so on.. I guess we'll see.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

ShrewLWD

It should be noted that we have over 300 60Cs and 60Ds, and are only seeing this on ~40 or so.  We are trying to collect up Gens, BIOS, wifi controller info, etc., to see if there is a similarity somewhere.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors