Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Lucascat
New Contributor III

FWF 40c 5.0.9 Local Bridge

Hi,

is it possible to configure SSID in local bridge mode on local WIFI radio?

Best regards

6 REPLIES 6
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Yes or something similar to it -- I'm assuming you want to merge the wifi interface with the internal interface into a single soft switch.  Keep in mind that as a soft switch, the CPU on the 40C will have to perform all the work of moving data between the ports in a soft switch.  See this thread.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Lucascat
New Contributor III

thank you.

But in this realease (5.0.9) there is no way to create a soft switch with member SSID local bridge interface and internal interface!!

The only propagated SSID through local radio are Tunnel model :(

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

See my post here for a similar setup.  Edit:  I have already done this on both the Fortiwifi 40C and Fortiwifi 80CM.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

@Lucascat:

In v5.0 you don't need to have both the AP in Local Bridge mode AND SSID and 'internal' port in a software switch. Local Bridge mode will allow you to have the internal addresses on the WiFi as well. The AP still is managed by the FGT via CAPWAP tunnel (don't get confused, control traffic is always tunneled) but client traffic is bridged.

That's why you don't see bridged SSIDs as Interfaces for the switch setup.

Cf. "Cookbook for v5.0.7", pg. 218. This is the 'regular' setup for small WiFi LANs.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Lucascat
New Contributor III

ede_pfau wrote:

@Lucascat:

In v5.0 you don't need to have both the AP in Local Bridge mode AND SSID and 'internal' port in a software switch. Local Bridge mode will allow you to have the internal addresses on the WiFi as well. The AP still is managed by the FGT via CAPWAP tunnel (don't get confused, control traffic is always tunneled) but client traffic is bridged.

That's why you don't see bridged SSIDs as Interfaces for the switch setup.

Cf. "Cookbook for v5.0.7", pg. 218. This is the 'regular' setup for small WiFi LANs.

Hi,

just to clarify:

I do not have FAP in my network but only FWF40c with internal radio.

The internal radio do not propagate SSID configured in "bridge mode" but only SSID configured in "tunnel mode" :o

Dipen
New Contributor III

Hi

Is this the case for only smaller models or larger models as well ?

What about FortiOS 5.2 is there is similarity here ?

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5

Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5 Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors