Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jamestiberius
New Contributor II

FSSO compatability

I am going to upgrade our fortinet boxes from 5.4 to 5.6 in upcoming weeks.

our FSSO  agent running on our server  is on version 5.0.0247

do I need to upgrade the fsso agent or is that version compatible with all 5.x versions?

1 Solution
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

officially supported FSSO subsystem version for all components (agents) is stated in FortiOS Release notes and usually include just latest FSSO released alongside with FortiOS.

However, FSSO protocol is stable and so evolution is mainly about new features while old ones are kept backward compatible.

So regardless it's not official, almost (as there were surely less perfect versions) any 5.x FSSO will most probably flawlessly work with any 5.x or 6.x FortiOS.

Upgrade of FortiGate do not necessarily mean to upgrade whole FSSO (in a hurry).

If your FSSO was working OK, it will almost certainly do still work after upgrade of FortiGate.

However I'd also suggest to schedule maintenance and sometimes upgrade FSSO as well. Do not run to situation where you'll leave FSSO as is for years, just upgrading FortiOS.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

officially supported FSSO subsystem version for all components (agents) is stated in FortiOS Release notes and usually include just latest FSSO released alongside with FortiOS.

However, FSSO protocol is stable and so evolution is mainly about new features while old ones are kept backward compatible.

So regardless it's not official, almost (as there were surely less perfect versions) any 5.x FSSO will most probably flawlessly work with any 5.x or 6.x FortiOS.

Upgrade of FortiGate do not necessarily mean to upgrade whole FSSO (in a hurry).

If your FSSO was working OK, it will almost certainly do still work after upgrade of FortiGate.

However I'd also suggest to schedule maintenance and sometimes upgrade FSSO as well. Do not run to situation where you'll leave FSSO as is for years, just upgrading FortiOS.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

jamestiberius

got it, thanks.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors