Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SYQUEST
New Contributor

FORTIOS 4.0 & FG60B

I just purchased an FG-60B for one of my clients. I can' t seem to figure out what FortiOS version the firmware is... The KB seems to to be very out-of-date on current versions of product versus equipped firmware. Anybody have any ideas to the " Forti-everything" madness? The CD that came with it is useless! I was expecting it to have 4.0 installed. Thanks in advance for any information/clarifications! ....JIM....
6 REPLIES 6
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

I just purchased an FG-60B for one of my clients. I can' t seem to figure out what FortiOS version the firmware is...
If you log in the box, you could see firmware version on status frame If you cannot see it, just run console command : get sys status
The KB seems to to be very out-of-date on current versions of product versus equipped firmware.
there' s an article http://kc.forticare.com/default.asp?id=774&Lang=1 showing that and for newer versions, the advice is the same I' ve posted above.
Anybody have any ideas to the " Forti-everything" madness?
I don' t know what are you meaning with this. If you want to run 4.0 firmware, go to FTP support site, support.fortinet.com and search for those images; recommended last version is 4.0.3 good luck

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
SYQUEST
New Contributor

I had printed the config via CLI and it does not explicitly say " I am version blah blah blah" . But it does show it in the status screen on the webui when you login there. So I have figured that out. I will be going through a learning curve with this device. With minor changes I have discovered between patch updates and documentation, in addition to differences in the webui screen formats, it is very confusing trying to figure it all out. I am going to update to version 4 before I put the FG60B in service. Anybody have any comments about Fortinet and rack mounting hardware for the 50 - 100 series boxes? This should be a standard item these days! Lastly, does anyone know if Fortinet has a simple form or planning guide to use when programming the Fortigates? It would be a huge help in organizing all the input needed for a configuration. ....JIM....
FortiRack_Eric
New Contributor III

Jim, Of course in the config there is a version (if you make a backup) it' s in the first 3 lines. Secondly there is rackmounting hardware: check www.fortirack.com If you don' t want to go through the learning curve there are plenty companies around who will manage them for you. Like mine (www.securelayers.com) Cheers Eric

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Jim, welcome to the Fortinet world! You' ve made a good choice. In comparison to other UTM devices the Fortigates stand out with ease of management, powerful features and low pricing. You' ll see that in the near future after getting accustomed to it. When I started with Fortigates I had no idea how complicated other firewalls could be. Just ridiculous if you had to run a Checkpoint or Cisco PIX. Get hold of the Admin Guide for your firmware version (it is not model specific - you only learn it once!). The 50B and 60B are meant to be home office/small office tabletop devices. Although their performance has increased a lot over the last years they are not meant to be deployed in an enterprise environment, ie rack mounted. All other Fortigate models (>10) are rack mountable. Post in this forum, usually you' ll get help or pointers quickly. Tumb advertisement is the exception. Ede

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
SYQUEST
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions, but in relation to rack mounting, SMB or not I do rack mounting when installing patch panels, etc. for an installation. It may not be a floor rack, but the 3' wall type rack mountings like the Chatsworth Products versions, etc. Simple rack bracket ears can' t be that difficult or expensive to make. Since the FG60B is the same size as the FG80CM or FG100A, and 3" shorter than the FG110/111 boxes. May be you don' t rack mount the " small stuff" in Europe, but we do here in the USA, at least I do for my installations, when applicable. The Fortirack is not sold in the USA, and I am not an importer. We pay enough in shipping charges the way it is, so I am not going to pay import fees in addition to all the other add-ons. I have printed the administration document, and have been reading it. This level of device is certainly flexible compared to all the low end router stuff that does not really do much at all. ....JIM....
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

sigh, you' re right. But they just don' t offer ears for the small ones. I usually put it on a tray if I deploy it in a rack. My old FG60 has 8.5" so it would need really loong ears to mount into a 19" rack. One more point to watch is the power supply. More than once the plug from the external PSU slipped out during cable wrestling...and nada network! So I fixed the cable with power tape to the firewall. As soon as you get to the firewalls with internal PSU you' ll get 19" rack ears and it really looks professional. Guess this forum is more about the inner qualities... Ede

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors