Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SYQUEST
New Contributor

FORTINET VERSION NUMBERING

[size=4][/size] I am trying to understand the Fortinet FW version numbering convention. There are versions like v4.0.0 or v4.0.3 (no MR), and v4.0 MR1 with various patches. Then, there are build numbers also. In doing some searching thru knowledge bases and FAQs have not found anything that explains how it works and any changes recently made. Evidently, Fortinet no longer puts image checksums in the release notes since v4.0.4... Anybody have any answers or insights about this? At least with the checksum list you could see if your router model was listed. This inquiry all came about because of a new FG60C purchase for a client currently using an FG60B to be replaced by the FG60C. After reading over several posts concerning FG60C or related issues with firmware and memory corruption, I figured these items should be checked out. According to the Release Notes v4.0 MR1 FortiGate-60C, the v4.0.4 MR1 is the first firmware used in the new model. Mine happens to have build 5430 on it. After searching thru the FTP site, I found a build of 4.2.8 listed for the FG60C and release notes. So I downloaded them. Haven' t installed it yet, though. Evidently, there is NO v4.1 version for the FG60C. None was listed or found. Fortinet must have had a bad time with the v4.0 & v4.1 FWs. Thanks in advance! ....JIM....
1 REPLY 1
Matthijs
New Contributor II

Jim, Since the 60C is a quite new model there is no old firmware for it ;-) The releases are simple. They start with version 4, then they start patching that version so you will get 4.0.1 and so on. Then they start with 4.0 MR1 and they will patch that so you get 4.0 MR1 Patch 1 (also called 4.1.1). Now they have 4.0 MR3 patch 1 (4.3.1) but that one is not really stable. Most times you will have to wait for the first or second patch in a MR (Major release) version to get a really stable build. Hosting checksums in the same folder as the image download is not very useful because when the FTP server is compromised they can also upload new release notes with new checksums so i think that is the reason they moved it here: https://support.fortinet.com/EndUser/FirmwareImagesChecksum.aspx The best advise that i could give you is to go with version 4.2.8 that you just downloaded. 4.2 is considered stable and you should get the latest release available.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors