Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wamendoza
New Contributor III

FORTIGATE SIZING

Hi team,

I would like your help with the following

I have a company that wants to give a kick to an SSG140, and they ask me for a FortiGate hardware to be able to replace it. I don't see that Fortinet has any sizing tool for these cases, so reviewing the datashee of this SSG140, it seems that all the 60, 70 and 80 models fit perfectly, but I want your support, I don't want wrong sizing

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/hardware/netscreen-systems/netscreen-systems54/GSG_SSG140.pdf

http://www.nha-fl.com/files/SSG140.pdf

2 Solutions
Cajuntank

80F looks to be a very solid fit giving you some room to grow into (SSL inspection throughput shows 715Mbps...so even if all 5 ISPs were delivering you 100Mb and you were utilizing all at the same time, that's only 500Mb max). I would be cognizant that you would need the 81F for local reporting since it will have an internal storage unlike the 80F that would need a external system for long term storage like FortiAnalyzer.

Again, just confirm on the ability to utilize those "internal" ports for SD-WAN/WAN zone for that branch level hardware.

View solution in original post

gfleming

Yes 80F works and you can re-purpose the LAN ports as WAN ports but just be conscious of the total number of usable ports on that box is 10. So you are using half the ports just for WAN connectivity.

Cheers,
Graham

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
wamendoza
New Contributor III

ah ok, I understand.... well, I was thinking of using the wan ports (by default) and using 3 lan port or "internal" as wan roles.... I thought of an 80f for this plan

Cajuntank

80F looks to be a very solid fit giving you some room to grow into (SSL inspection throughput shows 715Mbps...so even if all 5 ISPs were delivering you 100Mb and you were utilizing all at the same time, that's only 500Mb max). I would be cognizant that you would need the 81F for local reporting since it will have an internal storage unlike the 80F that would need a external system for long term storage like FortiAnalyzer.

Again, just confirm on the ability to utilize those "internal" ports for SD-WAN/WAN zone for that branch level hardware.

wamendoza
New Contributor III

Thanks for all your support my friend....

gfleming

Yes 80F works and you can re-purpose the LAN ports as WAN ports but just be conscious of the total number of usable ports on that box is 10. So you are using half the ports just for WAN connectivity.

Cheers,
Graham
wamendoza
New Contributor III

Thanks for all your support Graham

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors