Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
STOLLERXD
New Contributor II

FORTIGATE REMOTE ACCESS AND MONITORING

Hello everyone I need help. Let me explain you. On past customers have IP public and from my office I monitor and have remote access on fortigate.  now he changed he have always internet but without ip public how can I continue de have remote access to fortigate and monitor it. Waiting for you plse :pensive_face::pensive_face:. 

PS: port forwarding is option from ISPdont give me this possibility. 

10 REPLIES 10
sharmaj
Staff
Staff

Hi,

Actually, you need either public IP or DDNS domain to reach the FortiGate from outside as the user will not be aware of how to reach the FortiGate if the public IP is not known.

Jay sharma
STOLLERXD
New Contributor II

thanks your reply. 

Yeah without ip public it is not simple. I though with protocol like l2tp or sstp i will be able to make (client to site vpn i've sstp server on my office). Thanks again for your time.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

My suggestion is to set up a dial-up IPsec VPN. Let the site without (permanent) public IP dial out to the FGT. Using a VPN is the only safe way to access a FGT for management.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
STOLLERXD
New Contributor II

Ok ede. but in this case what ip i must use like remote gateway on forticlient.  below overview of my design i use one ip of lan isp like gateway on my fortigate

STOLLERXD_0-1647508812639.png

ede_pfau

No way, sorry. I imagined that you have a Fortigate externally. Just a FC will not do.

If you have access to the ISP router, you could port forward something onto the FGT WAN port. But if you don't I don't see any way to achieve this.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

By the same token, we always use SSL VPN for remote FGT access.

Toshi

STOLLERXD

hello toshi. i dont know if i'm wrong. but to use SSL vpn you must have spécifiy public ip as remote gateway on forticlient

Debbie_FTNT

Hey Stoller,

for IPSec or SSLVPN to FortiGate, you will need a public IP or hostname to connect to, if FortiGate should be receiving the connection attempt.

In your case, you would need to set up something on your ISP router (where the actual internet breakout is) to forward connections to a specific port/IP/hostname through to FortiGate, but you mentioned this is not an option, correct?

If you  have a different VPN server (with a public IP), FortiGate could initiate a connection to it (as a spoke, essentially), and you could reach FortiGate through that other VPN server.

But:
- either, you must make FortiGate reachable from internet somehow (DDNS, port forwarding)

- or FortiGate must establish a connection to a different VPN gateway to which you can also connect, and reach FortiGate through that

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
STOLLERXD

thanks debbie. for now i talk with ISP for port forwading. but by forticloud it's not possible to manage fortigate on remote 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors