Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fnet16
New Contributor

FG-51E performance and throughput

Hello,

I'm about to place an order for FG-51E.

I'm planning to install FG-51E in my home office (~12 servers and a few users) with 75mbps internet connection.

Will FG-51E be able to sustain 75mbps internet traffic with all features on?

Especially, what throughput should I expect  from  SSL traffic inspection?

Thank you!

2 Solutions
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi

please ref to the Product Matrix from Fortinet which shows the relevant data (51E equal 50E):

http://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjg_J3w8qHMAh...

Hopefully the link works otherwise search in Google for "Fortinet Product Matrix". Keep also following in mind:

Because of special Chip which is used for the E serie you can use ONLY 5.4 on such device. 5.4 is brand new and full of bugs as absolut not stable! Next release is planed for mid of may meaning Patch 1. From this point of view you can go with 5.4 but you must be 100% aware that you are not working with a 100% stable product and with a GA release!

In this forum there is also mentioned some problems with the E serie. I can not confirm/unconfirm this because we are very defensive regarding this E serie modells not because of the hardware more because of the above statement regarding 5.4 GA release etc.

hope this helps

have fun

Andrea

View solution in original post

CyberNorris
New Contributor III

I've been running FortiOS 5.4 since beta 2 and unless you're doing uncommon things with your FortiGate, the 5.4GA is fine. The only bugs I've personally experienced are cosmetic.

Your top sustained throughput depends on what security profiles you apply to the data stream. If you do deep packet inspection combined with full NGFW and have data streams with file attachments... that's where things can slow down. It also depends on the number of such data streams. If you're talking home office to a small office with maybe a dozen people, the 50E/51E will probably be quite fine. Depending on usage, it could handle 2-3 dozen.

I assume you're going with the 51E for the local storage. This will let you store log files locally and have additional reporting capability that the 50E would not.

FYI, I'm now recommending clients buy a FortiAP 221C instead of a FortiWiFi because you get the 5Ghz radio (and the 2.4Ghz radio) that most newer computers and devices support... especially if you're in an area with interference from other access points.

I personally have no experience with the E-models, so can't speak to the issues being reported.

Norris Carden

Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016)

CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)

View solution in original post

Norris Carden Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016) CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)
4 REPLIES 4
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi

please ref to the Product Matrix from Fortinet which shows the relevant data (51E equal 50E):

http://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjg_J3w8qHMAh...

Hopefully the link works otherwise search in Google for "Fortinet Product Matrix". Keep also following in mind:

Because of special Chip which is used for the E serie you can use ONLY 5.4 on such device. 5.4 is brand new and full of bugs as absolut not stable! Next release is planed for mid of may meaning Patch 1. From this point of view you can go with 5.4 but you must be 100% aware that you are not working with a 100% stable product and with a GA release!

In this forum there is also mentioned some problems with the E serie. I can not confirm/unconfirm this because we are very defensive regarding this E serie modells not because of the hardware more because of the above statement regarding 5.4 GA release etc.

hope this helps

have fun

Andrea

fnet16

Thank you Andrea for your detailed and very helpful response.

I'll wait with my purchase till next month.

CyberNorris
New Contributor III

I've been running FortiOS 5.4 since beta 2 and unless you're doing uncommon things with your FortiGate, the 5.4GA is fine. The only bugs I've personally experienced are cosmetic.

Your top sustained throughput depends on what security profiles you apply to the data stream. If you do deep packet inspection combined with full NGFW and have data streams with file attachments... that's where things can slow down. It also depends on the number of such data streams. If you're talking home office to a small office with maybe a dozen people, the 50E/51E will probably be quite fine. Depending on usage, it could handle 2-3 dozen.

I assume you're going with the 51E for the local storage. This will let you store log files locally and have additional reporting capability that the 50E would not.

FYI, I'm now recommending clients buy a FortiAP 221C instead of a FortiWiFi because you get the 5Ghz radio (and the 2.4Ghz radio) that most newer computers and devices support... especially if you're in an area with interference from other access points.

I personally have no experience with the E-models, so can't speak to the issues being reported.

Norris Carden

Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016)

CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)

Norris Carden Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016) CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)
Alex_l
New Contributor

i have 50E at home lan 100mbit and it AMAZING FAST compared with previous FG-60D. i have all feutures ON with maximum tweaks, including SSL inspection!!! Torrent gets 100mbit without traffic and CPU freeze!

FG-50E/60D/60E, FAP-221B/21D, FortiClient. 

FG-50E/60D/60E, FAP-221B/21D, FortiClient.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors