Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

FC v3 . . . FTP does not connect . . .

When I run FortiClient, and not connected to any remote VPN sites, I cannot FTP. I do not connect at all, regardless if the firewall module is on or set to " Pass All" . When I shut down the FortiClient client, I can FTP normally. Has anyone else having this problem? Got a fix? MJ
7 REPLIES 7
vanc
New Contributor II

Should be caused by FortiClient' s proxy (FortiProxy). If you run the full FortiClient features, it should not happen. But if you have McAfee or Norton as AntiVirus solution while only using FortiClient for VPN, it will happen. The simple solution is to disable FortiClient proxy. Change the following registry key and restart your FortiClient. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Fortinet\FortiClient\FA_FortiProxy\enabled. Set 1 to 0.
itgsKEG
New Contributor

Hello vanc! This problem not only consists when you have McAfee or Norton as AntiVirus solution. I have none of them installed and the problem was the same. The fix you described solved the problem.
vanc
New Contributor II

Looks like FortiClient' s proxy service is not compatible with some FTP client or server. Which FTP server and client are you using?
itgsKEG
New Contributor

HI! I´m using Filezilla and PSFtpFree.
mister2x
New Contributor

Same problem here - with FortiClient running FTP stops working. Client: Windows command line ftp or Browser FTP (Firefox/IE) Server: support.fortinet.com - i think vsFTPd No luck with a proFTP server although. Christian EDIT: FortiClient installed ONLY with IPSec VPN (no FW, AV, AS etc)
vanc
New Contributor II

Development team has found the incompatibility issues with some FTP servers. FortiClient' s transparent proxy service will send a FCCK command at the very beginning of the FTP transaction. FCCK command is used for FortiClient Check on Fortigate. This command may cause some FTP servers to tear down the connection. It' s not fixable. The solution proposed by the dev team is turn off the FTP proxy in FortiClient. If it' s necessary, it can be turned on by using a registry key. The fix is in interim build 381. Verified locally. It' s working fine.
AKrause
Contributor

The FortiClient Check seems to need a lot more QA, since the FTP issue is not the only problem caused by FCCK. We run a BEA-based application which had strange misbehaviour while accessed via FortiClient VPN. The problems were caused by FCCK commands, which were found in the data payload and obviously not removed by FortiGate at the vpn endpoint. We have disabled the FortiProxy on all installations now.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors