Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MegaSistemas
New Contributor

FAZ and Syslog server

Hello guys

For a while I used FAZ to get the information from our FGT and reports, but the cost is relevant and then some questions have arisen.

The Syslog server has only the function of storing the data and FGT would not query this Syslog data, right?

Can we use the Syslog server to receive the data by hosting in a database so that we can make selects to extract information and thus to stop using the FAZ?

Which Syslog server would you indicate for this purpose and which can be used with FGT and other network assets?

Have you ever used any tool like Power BI to extract information instead of using FAZ?

Thank you for your support!

Hugs

2 Solutions
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The Syslog server has only the function of storing the data and FGT would not query this Syslog data, right?

Correct

Can we use the Syslog server to receive the data by hosting in a database so that we can make selects to extract information and thus to stop using the FAZ?  

Correct

Which Syslog server would you indicate for this purpose and which can be used with FGT and other network assets?

You have many to use splunk is good ,  loggly is great , Alertlogic, and papertrails is ideal ( I'm using the latter in a  few  FGT/PANOS deployments for  analysis  and it works great for writing log triggers or "alerts" )

Have you ever used any tool like Power BI to extract information instead of using FAZ? 

NO , see the above suggestions and review them.

A 3rd option if a  remote-logging service solutions are pricey;   is to build a log-server that  inject the log messages into a sql database and then build a interface to SELECT FROM on the fields and and log-type. I have a business partner that could do this for you , contact me via PM and I will refer you to them.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No it's not a issue and can be over come. Also you have a host of other support types CEF or Brief and CSV format. Splunk and syslog-ng for example has modules or addons for CEF format and others formats

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2017/08/fortios-cef-formatted-logs.html

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2018/03/fortios-logging-bried.html

You will have to test your  support and what you need

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
6 REPLIES 6
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Correct

Correct

You have many to use splunk is good ,  loggly is great , Alertlogic, and papertrails is ideal ( I'm using the latter in a  few  FGT/PANOS deployments for  analysis  and it works great for writing log triggers or "alerts" )

NO , see the above suggestions and review them.

A 3rd option if a  remote-logging service solutions are pricey;   is to build a log-server that  inject the log messages into a sql database and then build a interface to SELECT FROM on the fields and and log-type. I have a business partner that could do this for you , contact me via PM and I will refer you to them.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Ken, I thought there was an issue with Fortinet using non-standard / extended syslog formats, that the various syslog servers had problems with.  Is this no longer an issue?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No it's not a issue and can be over come. Also you have a host of other support types CEF or Brief and CSV format. Splunk and syslog-ng for example has modules or addons for CEF format and others formats

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2017/08/fortios-cef-formatted-logs.html

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2018/03/fortios-logging-bried.html

You will have to test your  support and what you need

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Great info, thanks!

mike_ronn331

We have a short list of the finest free of cost SYSLOG Server Softwares here for the convenience of our users. Well! there are different kinds of free and paid software available in the market. You can browse and find out the best one. Here i like to talk about some software like Syslog Watcher is amazing software for handling log events that feature a multi-threaded design for improved performance. It means to say that the course of gathering logs and treating them is diverse and that’s why one does not restrict with the other. Because of it you are guaranteed that all events from all your devices are logged to the server. So in case you need to go in detail then you can go for this link https://appuals.com/the-5-best-free-syslog-server-softwares/ and find out a lot more.

itsupport7
New Contributor

Hmm not familiar with FAZ.  Whether you store to syslog files or a database you would need to extract the data, for a database importing  and extraction of syslog data can be complicated. we use a syslog server forwarding to graylog.  I think Elasticsearch Logstash and Kibana (ELK) may be viable also but a bit more complicated that graylog and standard syslog.

Served 1,000,000 burgers

Served 1,000,000 burgers
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors