Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mpodraza
New Contributor II

FAZ VM - Duplicate License [Trial, 7.4.1]

Hi,

I have a problem with a FAZ trial license. Some time ago I've been playing with a FAZ VM on Proxmox - restoring from backups and resizing data disk (of course within trial limits). After that I was getting errors about duplicated license.

I've decided to decommission the old license, delete the VM and start fresh. Sadly, with the new license and new VM I was still getting the duplicate license error.

With the support help, I was able to remove all old and decommissioned FAZ licenses from my account and once again deployed the new VM. Nothing has changed. I've even tried to create another Fortinet account, but no matter what I do, there is still an error.

Does anyone have any idea what to do to deal with this?

Zrzut ekranu 2023-11-30 163409.pngZrzut ekranu 2023-11-30 163422.pngZrzut ekranu 2023-11-30 163531.png

1 Solution
MinskSNV

Fixed it! Change the "Machine" setting to an older version.

The UUID was not sent to the virtual machine until these settings were completed. 

Screenshot_7.pngScreenshot_6.png

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mpodraza
New Contributor II

I've also found this entry in the log:

License validation state changes from Trial License Init to Found disconnecting because of Server No Response

I'm not using any proxy and SSL inspection...

jasonhong
Staff
Staff

Since the duplicate license is still detected, there is a trick whereby you can actually disable the DNS settings in the FAZ instance to temporarily disable FAZ from communicating with FortiGuard servers which detects the license duplication.

mpodraza
New Contributor II

OK, I can disable the DNS but for how long?

Kester1
New Contributor II

Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?

mpodraza
New Contributor II

Yes and no :( I have deployed FAZ VM on another server with different hypervisor and still there was an error regarding duplicate license. However, after reapplying the same license file over and over FAZ finally has stopped showing this error. I plan to go back to original hypervisor and try the same trick - reapply the license until it works ;)

Kester1
New Contributor II

Ok, I'll try to do what you said.

asrour
Staff
Staff

the license should be on one device only. 

The FAZ will always verify the license with Fortiguard servers. (which means needs a valid DNS and 443 and NTP ports allowed)

If the license is only on one FAZ and it is showing duplicate, reboot the Fortianalyzer and that should fix it

A Srour
tkramer
New Contributor

I have the same problem with the trial license for 7.4.2 in a similar environment with Proxmox.  I tried repeatedly applying the license, rebooting the VM and trying ESXi with no luck. I have made sure that there is only one Fortianalyzer in my Forticloud account and the IP is set in asset managment (192.168.0.5 in my case). I have made sure that the VM has full internet access with FAZ using Fortinet's DNS servers. I don't know what else I can try.Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 9.36.26 AM.png

MinskSNV

Fixed it! Change the "Machine" setting to an older version.

The UUID was not sent to the virtual machine until these settings were completed. 

Screenshot_7.pngScreenshot_6.png

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors