Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SSC_Seb
New Contributor

FAZ 5.2 - Source Country always blank?

I've been configuring our FAZ device on 5.2 and I can't get the source country to show up. Traffic log shows flags on destination IP, detects destination country, but doesn't do it for source IP or source country. This happens whether I import logs backed up from our FAZ 4.3 or a device reports directly to the FAZ 5.2. Our FAZ 4.3 shows source country fine from the same device reporting to it. To be clear, I configured a single device with 2 FAZ destinations (via CLI). FAZ 4.3 shows source country. FAZ 5.2 does not. I can't seem to find a config setting that would affect this on the FAZ. Help?

6 REPLIES 6
SSC_Seb
New Contributor

I doubt anyone cares but this looks like a firmware bug in 5.2 when receiving logs from 4.3. The 4.3 field dst_country gets remapped properly by FAZ 5.2 as dstcountry, but src_country does not get mapped to srccountry. The log parser for 4.3 logs likely needs to be patched to remap src_country to srccountry.

I'm hoping this will get looked at by engineering and fixed but let's just say my hopes are very dim.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Dumb question but does your  FGT ( assuming this is what we are talking about ) has the geoip database

e.g

diagnose firewall ipgeo country-list

Does it report back any srccountry?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
SSC_Seb
New Contributor

FortiGate devices report the source country fine, logs making it to our old unit (operating in parallel right now) have source country set, raw logs on new FortiAnalyzer device shows src_country makes it but field isn't renamed/remapped to srccountry.

I'm 99.9% sure it's a bug in the 4.3 log parser used on FAZ 5.2. It remaps the other fields fine (like dst_country to dstcountry, and status to action), it just skips over src_country and doesn't use it.

MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Probably is. I have always avoided mixing and matching major firmware versions (4.3 vs 5.0 vs 5.2 vs 5.4) when it comes to their logging destination. I know some drastic changes take place and it usually causes sporadic or erratic behavior.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

open a ticket with  FTNT support, but did  the  release notes say this is supported?  But remember FTNT start using these words such as "but with possible interoperability issues." so beadvise ;)

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
SSC_Seb
New Contributor

The release notes for FAZ 5.2.10 states it supports reporting from 4.3.2 and above. I understand "interoperability issues" but mapping the other fields correctly and just forgetting about mapping src_country sounds more like a bug in the parser than a technical limitation. I mean, you have the exact same functionality that works perfectly for dst_country being remapped to dstcountry and appearing properly. They just need to do the same thing for src_country too.

I'll keep pushing on the support side, hope it ends up in the devs' laps and they see that it's a quick and easy fix, maybe get it included in the next FAZ 5.2 release...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors