Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
CHXGVA
New Contributor

FAP221C - Upgrade to 5.6.3

I have been trying to update our FP221Cs to 5.6.3 (0493) but I systematically get an error stating that the firmware is not compatible even though the 5.6.3 releases notes state that they are supported.

Has anyone managed to do this upgrade.  I went from 5.6.1 to 5.6.2 (0489)without a problem.

1 Solution
warren_macdonald

I have recently upgraded a couple of 300D Firewalls to FortiOS 5.6.3 and in doing so upgraded the FortiAP firmware to 5.6.3 as well (for 221C AP's).  

Found an issue with the AP's not upgrading from WiFi Controller GUI after FortiOS was upgraded to 5.6.3.

1) If I went into the AP list and edit an AP and try and do the upgrade from within that window (in GUI) it was not compatible and fails.

2) If I select the AP from the list and Right Click on the AP in the List and choose to Upgrade - then it works ok  (selecting a pre-downloaded FortiAP 5.6.3 (build 493) firmware image locally).

Use the 2nd option as a workaround.

Have logged with Fortinet - and being looked at - but might be a while off.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bravishank_FTNT

Hi,

Can you explain how are you upgrading the FAP Versions ? Are you upgrading from FOS GUI or FOS CLI  ?

Upgrading from V5.6.2 to V5.6.3 should not have any issues.

If you're still having issues, can you please share a screenshot of the issues you're facing.

Thanks,

Balaji

Balaji

warren_macdonald

I have recently upgraded a couple of 300D Firewalls to FortiOS 5.6.3 and in doing so upgraded the FortiAP firmware to 5.6.3 as well (for 221C AP's).  

Found an issue with the AP's not upgrading from WiFi Controller GUI after FortiOS was upgraded to 5.6.3.

1) If I went into the AP list and edit an AP and try and do the upgrade from within that window (in GUI) it was not compatible and fails.

2) If I select the AP from the list and Right Click on the AP in the List and choose to Upgrade - then it works ok  (selecting a pre-downloaded FortiAP 5.6.3 (build 493) firmware image locally).

Use the 2nd option as a workaround.

Have logged with Fortinet - and being looked at - but might be a while off.

Hosemacht

Hi Warren,

thnx for the Workaround, btw the issue still exists in FortiOS 5.6.4

sudo apt-get-rekt

sudo apt-get-rekt
warren_macdonald
New Contributor

Yes I had raised that as a bug & will be fixed in an upcoming version.

You can still upgrade the AP by doing it from the list.

Managed FortiAP's -> Select AP to Upgrade , Right Click on the highlighted AP and select Upgrade Firmware.

Then Upload File and it will work ok.

NOTE - If you are upgrading it to try and fix a problem where devices randomly are unable to connect to the Internet (but appear to connect to WiFi ok) then its more likely to be related to a bug in FortiOS.

Fix is :-  connect to Firewall Command Line Interface  (and issue the following commands) config system npu   set capwap-offload disable      end Then Reboot Fortigate Apparently the above fix is also included in FortiOS version 5.6.4  

BUT ....  upgrading to 5.6.4 has its own querks.

Upgrading to 5.6.4 from 5.6.3 removes physical interfaces from Zones (and hence removes from policies etc).

Am waiting for a sensible workaround to upgrade remotely (without getting isolated when WAN interfaces drop off policies during upgrade = bit of a show stopper for remote upgrades).

Hope that helps.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors