Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Extending LAN subnet across WAN

I have two locations: Main Office is 10.2.0.0 subnet and Branch office is 10.4.0.0 subnet. Locations are connected via WAN and all works fine. What I an trying to develop is a way to extend my LAN subnet in Main Office to be able to route to the Branch Office if needed. For example, and in simple scenerio, I want to be able to move a virtualized machine to a VM server in Branch office and have it accessable without having to change IP addresses. I' ve seen this called Bridging or extending the network and I think it operates at the Layer 2 level. I know there may be other pros and cons to doing this, but in a nutshell... can it be done at the Fortigate level? thanks
3 REPLIES 3
TopJimmy
New Contributor

My network experience in this area is sorely lacking. I am curious as well.
-TJ
-TJ
MasterBratac
Contributor

You could use Fortigate in transparent mode for IPSEC VPN at Layer2. http://docs.fortinet.com/fgt/handbook/fortigate-ipsec-40-mr1.pdf Read the chapter about transparent mode VPNs. You could even split a fortigate in multiple VDOMs, of which one runs transparent and the other one runs NAT mode.
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

there are a few things you can do, go to http://kb.fortinet.com and search for " subnet overlapping" and " proxy arp" i have a network with the same subnet on both sides, it can be done, but there are some limitations as well

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors