Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
martyyy
New Contributor III

Export CA Root Certificate with private key

FG 400F - FortiOS 7.2.8

I'm trying to export  root certificate with password and private key.  I tried exporting using TFTP however, I can't export build in certificate off the Fortigate. "built-in certificate 'fortinet_ca_ssl' is not allowed to export".

KBs that I've run through:

Export a certificate | FortiGate / FortiOS 7.2.8 | Fortinet Document Library

Procedure for exporting and re-importing ... - Fortinet Community

Exporting or importing a local server cer... - Fortinet Community

- How can I export the cert in p12/pem format so I can extract the private key and password?
- How can I decrypt the private key and password?

Appreciate your feedbacks. TIA :) 

5 REPLIES 5
mriswan
Staff
Staff

Good day!
Could you explain why exactly you are exporting 'fortinet_ca_ssl' from the firewall? I don't think we can export built-in CA certificate with keys. 

martyyy
New Contributor III

Hi @mriswan The reason why is because I would like to integrate it with our Radius ClearPass Policy Manager server for authentication purposes. It requires private key and password to import. We don't have password stored and Fortigate shows the Private key and Password but they're encrypted.

abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello martyyy
You can't obtain private key from a certificate not signed by externals CA.  That's the idea indeed, it's private.

what is the requirement you' re trying to fulfil?

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
martyyy
New Contributor III

Hi @abelio The reason why is because I would like to integrate it with our Radius ClearPass Policy Manager server for authentication purposes. It requires private key and password to import. We don't have password stored and Fortigate shows the Private key and Password but they're encrypted.

Toshi_Esumi

If it's for client auth for SSL-VPN or Wifi access authenticated by your RADIUS server with device certificates over like 802.1X EAP-TLS, you can't use any FGT's certificates. Generally it has to be generated on the RADIUS/server side, or more likely generated by a PKI managmeent system incorporating with the RADIUS, and set trust at the RADIUS as well as delivering/pushing/installing the device certificates to each individual client devices. The FGT would just relay the cert the clients provide to the RADIUS server.

Toshi

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors