Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Exchange email getting blocked

I' m just starting my attempts to solve this one, but perhaps somebody else on the forum has seen this or has some ideas: I setup the Fortigate 50a with the default policies. We are running Windows Small Business Server 2003. Our main application of note is Exchange Server 2003. We have the MX records for the domain pointed in and the Fortigate forwarding the ports to the server. With no policies in effect, everything works perfectly. When we use the default policy or normal policies, most of the email is being blocked--even if the size is small (ie text saying " test" ). My short term fix was to open the floodgates and let everything in. Now I want to figure out what/why these outside emails addressed to our users were being blocked. Any ideas? Any guesses as what to try next? Thanks, Jeremy
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable

Hi Jeremy! Did you check the Email Filter menu? I think may be your messages which contains some format can be blocked by these features. And would you pls review the Antivirus rules in your default Policy? Hope u fix the problem and share it to the Forum,pls! Brgds
Not applicable

Hello, We are running a Fortigate 60 box, and like Jeremy in this thread, have the default settings in place. We are using an outside hosting provider for Exchange (which we connect to using a VPN session). The staff running Outlook XP are not having problems, but the folks on Outlook 2003 are having a problem where the connection to the server seems to be lost during spell-check/send. Otherwise, everything is passing normally and email is working fine. I checked the email filter settings again, per your idea, and they are also default/nothing. Any ideas? I' m about to call the Fortinet folks now to see what settings I might need to tweak. Kenan
Not applicable

Try check your Exchange Server Event Log, you might be able to find something there. For my case, I found that my Exchange server refuse to Relay for my firewall IP (I enable NAT in the policies, which is wrong) I using Fortigate 100, NAT mode. You will need to configure the following: - 1. Virtual IP to map External IP -> Server IP (exchange server private IP). 2. Policies, Ext -> Int, make sure you don' t select any of the option. Have a try..
Not applicable

Exchange 2003 port fowarding & FW Settings
Fortigate 50A, configured (NON-transparent mode) to Scan/File Block all outbound SMTP traffic, and same on incoming SMTP traffic. The device is configured to TCP Port-Forward (port 25) to our Exchange server address (192.168.1.3). We have an Exchange 2003 sever. It sends (and receives) email immediately to most addresses. However we found that any email to Hotmail, rgm.com.au and a few others, gets delayed and not sent. As soon as I turn off Antivirus Scanning on outbound email....all email goes immediately. Note: On incoming Hotmail emails...there is upto a 5 minute delay on receiving emails with Inbound virus scanning turned on, but no delay with the scanning turned off. Sorry this is not a solution, but perhaps helps build a better picture of the problem. Jason.
Not applicable

Why use Port-Fwd' ing at all? Why not just use Static NAT? If you specifically have a policy for Ext->Int for SMTP to your exchange server, then you don' t need Port-Fwd' ing enabled. i don' t and email come sin just fine. Just my .02. Travis.
Not applicable

You have described problems similar to the ones i have been experience with several revisions of the 2.50 code. I have websites that simply will not display with AV turned on. As soon as I disable AV, all starts working well. I know this isn' t really and option as this will disable your AV scanning, but its worth a try; add the domains in question to the URL exempt list. This should cause the fortigate to exclude them from any file block procedures or AV scanning when the see the smtp header in the email. I' ll be glad when they get the AV weirdness straightened out too.
Not applicable

I experienced the same problem : after my fortigate power supply died I had to use a temporary fortigate lended, this had the firmware v2.50 as soon as I enabled the AV filtering I started getting bugged by " lusers" with problems sending/receiving from (r)hotmail :) (but also a couple of other domains) problems that vanished as the old fortigate (with v2.36) was reinstated now I' m quite puzzled if is the case to upgrade .... also I doubt that disabling av checks for rotmail is a good idea given the fact that a huge pile of crap arrives from it (or with spoofed " from" fields in that domain) let' s hope that 2.50 gets a fix! Max
Not applicable

We' ve seen something slightly related to this on one large site with 2000 users behind an 800. Hotmail broke for all IE6 users but the guys on Mozilla had no issues. Weirdest thing is it is intermittent. Fortinet are investigating but no solution at present. BTW, it has 2.5 build 264.
Not applicable

Is it the entire mail or simply attachments?
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors