Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jack_Gerbs
New Contributor

Erasing Flash on Bootup Using a USB Connection

I have a unit that is not working properly and want to erease the flash and TFTP a new image to the device. It is a 20C and only has a USB interface. How can I erase the flash on this and install a new image? Typically I break the boot process on serial units but the USB interface does not appear to let me watch the boot process to perform this task. Thanks, Jack
CISSP, FCNSP 4.0
CISSP, FCNSP 4.0
4 REPLIES 4
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

FortiExplorer v2.2 build 1046 or later is suppose to allow you to connect to the USB serial console and watch/break into the BIOS start up boot options. Are you connecting to the USB serial console then rebooting the 20C?

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Peter_Gilbert
New Contributor

I' ve tried this so many times on a 20C that i don' t know the password too... i cannot see any prompt where i can press any key to break the sequence. It looks like FortiExplorer just takes too long to connect as the 20C seems like it' s already up but then i see the reset button... i simply held it down w/ a paperclip and the 20C reset itself to factory defaults... good enough for me!
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

i simply held it down w/ a paperclip and the 20C reset itself to factory defaults... good enough
Welcome to the forums, Peter. There is a later, similar thread (I recall the OP had a corrupted flash disk), in which we discussed the actual FortiExplorer boot menu process (as outlined in the FortiExplorer documentation) and I actually attempted to use it on my Wifi 40C -- conclusion is as same as your own findings -- not enough time given in the boot sequence (in the FortiExplorer console) to actual interrupted the boot process to break into the boot menu. Don' t recall if that person ever responded back on what he finally did to resolve the issue (such as resetting the fgt by the pinhole).

Alivo__FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi, have a look here: http://208.91.113.73/fgt/sysadmin/Using_the_USB_MGMT_console_port.pdf This applies to devices such as 20C, 40C, 40D, 60D and likely other " D' s"

livo

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors