Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mikelar
New Contributor

EXT3 Error - Fortigate 60D

I'm hoping someone can provide some advice on file system issues I've got on a 60D running 5.2.2. We use this firewall solely for a redundant IPSec VPN tunnel that sees very little activity, and as such it currently has no active support subscription. 

A few weeks ago I noticed the IPsec tunnel dropping with unusual VPN logs which would require a reboot to resolve the issue, except after rebooting from the GUI the unit would not come back up on it's own. A hard reboot would then successfully boot the device. I'm also unable to connect to the CLI when this occurs, but can access it after a successful reboot.

After checking the system logs I noticed an ext3 error:

EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,3)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=15, block=4

Since then I've not been able to access any of the units logs from the GUI at all.

I've just ran a diag disktest but it failed with the below result:

6407.3 9000(70.31%): .................................................. 10.9 4.0
6547.7 9200(71.88%): ..........................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Read error: 4194304 bytes wanted, only 2080768 bytes read!
Test Result: Failed
Tested size: 9376MB (73.25% Coverage of whole disk)
Time used: 6791.5 sec
Read Speed: 10.9MB/s
Write Speed: 3.8MB/s
Command fail. Return code -19

I'm thinking my next step is to try the HQIP tool to check for hardware errors, which would also require a fresh firmware reload. I'm assuming if it is a hardware issue, I'll need to back-purchase an active subscription in order for it to be covered under RMA. Since I can't log a TAC ticket for this unit, I was just hoping for some advice on whether or not this is the right approach.

Cheers.

10 REPLIES 10
Mikelar

I've now experienced this issue on a 100D. Seems this is a known issue caused by excessive writing, Fortigate have advised here: https://support.fortinet....lletin.aspx?section=46

Wish I'd known this before enabling disk logging for the last 12 months. Previous warnings about disk logging only mentioned performance impact, not reduced hardware lifespan. Looks like I'll be sending some devices back for RMA.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors