Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
swang
New Contributor

Download speed half of expected through FortiGate 60F

I read several threads with similar or related issues, but the threads are several years old.

AT&T just installed 1G fiber in our office.  If I connect my laptop directly to the AT&T gateway and do a speed test at speedtest.net, I see 900/900M.  If I connect the same laptop to the Fortinet, I see 450/900M.  Fortinet support has reviewed the (very basic) 60F config in detail and cannot find anything in the config that should affect the download speed. We've checked speed, duplex, MTU, policies, and even tried different ports to rule out hardware failure.

In one of the older threads on this forum, someone said to use fast.com (and increase the number of parallel connections) instead of speedtest.net.  I'm not onsite to try this, but could this really be the issue?  Does anyone have experience with this?

6 REPLIES 6
rmeicher
New Contributor

Same issue here with the AT&T 1G.  Was better with the AT&T Speed Test and best with the Google Speed Test.  You'd think AT&T's test would be the best.  What do you get with the Google test?

Yurisk
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, speedtest-alike sites measuring is not a good indicator of actual speed the device can reach as those websites employ heavy session/TCP mangling which firewall (not only Fortigate) may not play along. 

The reliable way to measure is using iperf  - first the one built-in in the Fortigate, then from the laptop behind the Fortigate. Preferably against iperf server on the ISP/Provider side if they are willing to provide one (I have one always ready for our clients for such tests).

Example of how to use it: https://yurisk.info/2020/01/24/fortigate-iperf-traffic-test-built-in-client-cli/

Yuri https://yurisk.info/  blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Yuri https://yurisk.info/ blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
SuBDivisions
New Contributor

I just installed the 60F on my Gigabit Fios, replacing a Netgear SRX5308 (about 10 years old) which had a 960 Meg Firewall Rating (the 60F is 1 Gig), and my speed tests are all over the map..  Without it im getting 900/900 as well.. I have no security services on, i expected the same if not a little better performance over the netgear (I also tried a ZyTel VPN 100, but it maxed out at 700 Meg).. Im getting 800, 850, 750 down, Up is 400, 500, Sometimes 800.. its al l over the place.. Trying to figure it out now.

FatalHalt

Anyone getting a resolution to this issue? Having problems of the same nature. 

SuBDivisions

I solved my issue, sorry for the late update just got notified on the reply.. here is what i did, which is goofy but none the less...

After messing with the 60F for some days, while i was dialed in remotley to it i accidentally nuked the configuration as to need a full hard reset on the system.  So i went home, did full system reset.  Once up, the first thing i did was disable all of the features i did not need or use.

Now I am getting full speed (900+ down, 900+ up) on my gigabit fios and have been extremely happy and satisfied.

Long story short, save your configs if you have any (port forwarding etc), and do a hard system reset.  Its kind of silly, my 60f was a day old and i had to hard reset it, but hey it worked.

Also, the goofy thing is now the verizon fios speed test actually works (it usually only works when you have the gateway router as your well Gateway.. i don't i have the 60F as my gateway and ports forwarded to the Fios Router for the STB's, DVR etc..) and it shows internal fios network full speed to the 60f, which is what i wanted.  Don't be dismayed by speedtest.net.. Remember, thats a test that is outside the network, while i like it as a way of testing multiple locations in Real world speed tests over the internet going thru hops etc.. you first have to make sure your internal network speed in Fios is top notch.  

Hope this helps.

FatalHalt

It does help, thank you for replying!!! 

Our issues is a bit more involved and complex, but at the end of the day the issue is that iperf testing is phenomenal while actual throughput is crap.

I guess I'm not surprised that resetting helped.... that's a very uniquely fortinet fix. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors