Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Tonatiuh
New Contributor

Downgrade OS

FortiWiFi 60E - OS 5.4.1

How can I backup entire OS, or whatever be needed to upgrade to higher OS version, and be able to downgrade to my previous OS if I consider it is better/needed for me.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

If the current version added features or changed the syntax of some commands then a downgrade would most likely result in a loss of configuration.

I would do the downgrade with the USB stick method: place the old config file and the old firmware image on a FAT32 USB stick (max. 4 GB), connect it to the FGT, and enable the automatic upgrade (System>Advanced>Auto-install). This way, as the versions on the stick have precedence, first the old firmware is installed and then the old config. Reboots automatically, several times.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Phil_M

sorry to Hijack the thread.

I am looking to downgrade the firmware on a 50E (long story) I'm not worried about keeping any configuration. So if I stick 5.6.2 on a USB and reboot the fortigate it will install that firmware? If i haven't got a config file do I need to disable "Detect Configuration" in system>advanced>auto-install or will it just ignore it if it doesn't find one?

thanks

Phil

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

If you don't care about the pre-existing configuration, I would do a factory-reset, then downgrade away. If you get errors in the current version due to commands existing in the newer code, then factory reset once again.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

It will skip the 'restore config from USB stick' step if there isn't any. Just check that you run an 'exec factoryreset' from the command line (CLI) first. It will (amongst other things) activate the USB boot option. That's all.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors