Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fortimaster
Contributor

Doubts about Fortimanager and Fortiswitch.

Hi,

I am thinking whether to enable fortilink between my fortiswitches and my firewalls or not (I have several firewalls independent of each other). Actually I have my firewalls managed by FM.  My intention is to integrate the switches with Fortimanager and I think the biggest benefits of fortilink is being able to manage the switches from the firewalls. But, having a tool that manages centrally I don't see great advantages in enabling fortilink. On the other hand, I am not sure if I can integrate the fortiswitches without enabling fortilink in FM. What is your opinion? Thanks ¡¡

3 REPLIES 3
adambomb1219
Contributor III

You should manage the switches from the firewall via FortiLink.  Much easier, scalable and secure than doing standalone mode.  

The FortiManager talks to the FortiGate that talks to the FortiSwitch.  There is no way to manage FortiSwitches from FortiManager without having FortiLink enabled.

gfleming
Staff
Staff

It is nice and easy to manage all your switches from FortiManager. However, keep in mind once you manage your switches with FortiLink all inter-VLAN L3 routing happens on the FortiGates so make sure you have the capacity to handle this traffic.

Cheers,
Graham
fortimaster
Contributor

Thank you for your advice and help, it has been very useful.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors