Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Grumman
New Contributor III

Disable SSL/TLS Diffie-Hellman Modulus <= 1024 Bits (Logjam)

We were doing some penentration tests on our systems and we found out that on our FortiGate 200D which has SSL VPN enabled it is susceptible to the LongJam attack.

In the SSL VPN Settings, the below values have been set:

set algorithm high     set sslv2 disable     set sslv3 disable

In the Global COnfig, the below settings have been set:

set strong-crypto enable

Yet, when we perform the test again, the below output is presented to us:

Vulnerable connection combinations :   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.1   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.1   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.1   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.1   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.1   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_128_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.0   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.0   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.0   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.0   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)   SSL/TLS version : TLSv1.0   Cipher suite : TLS1_CK_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_128_CBC_SHA   Diffie-Hellman MODP size (bits) : 1024     Warning - This is a known static Oakley Group2 modulus. This may make     the remote host more vulnerable to the Logjam attack.   Logjam attack difficulty : Hard (would require nation-state resources)

Does anyone know how to disable the cipher in question or upgrade it to a 2048 bits?

Thank you in advance,

Thanasis

4 Solutions
denache
New Contributor III

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you kill off the sslvpn process and let it restart?

Also what version of  fortiOS are you running? And are you 100% sure the server-certificate is a 1k or 2k bit key?

Something don't sound right. Even 4.0MR3 supports 2k bit keys by default.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
BWiebe

Not that it will help immediately, but I am working through this with a client as well as their scans are showing the same thing.

I tested a few of my client sites using weakdh.org and confirmed the =1024 bit issue.  I have a test firewall on 5.4 Beta 3, and it passes with 2048 bit DH by default.

Now - if Fortinet would just give us a magic pill for 5.2.* I'd be happy.....

djwilliams
New Contributor II

jaustgen wrote:

Was there ever any resolution to this?

The 5.2.5 upgrade did fix this.  I had this escalated up to the executive level through my sales team.  A formal response never came.  I have tested 5.2.5 and they have fixed the default DH group by setting it to 14.  It appears they were using group 5 before.

Network Engineer

Network Engineer
22 REPLIES 22
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

We should be looking ECDHE vre DHE if you really want security. I don't believe Fortigate has the luxury to craft dh params & define these. You can speak to the product manager and see what they can offer or maybe this will be in  the future releases.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
jaustgen

djwilliams
New Contributor II

jaustgen wrote:

The 5.2.5 upgrade did fix this.  I had this escalated up to the executive level through my sales team.  A formal response never came.  I have tested 5.2.5 and they have fixed the default DH group by setting it to 14.  It appears they were using group 5 before.

Network Engineer
Network Engineer
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors