Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Lonis23i
New Contributor II

Direction incoming vs outgoing in logs (Fortigate IPS)

I'm trying to understand some Fortinet firewall logs but I'm not sure I fully understand what is being logged by the firewall when it comes to direction (Incoming vs Outgoing)

For example:

srcip=7.7.7.7 dstip=192.168.10.50 srcport=45845 dstport=80 srcintf="port5" srcintfrole="wan" dstintf="port10" dstintfrole="lan" proto=6 direction="outgoing"

I'm not sure why that would be categorized as outgoing instead of incoming. Since the traffic appears to be initiated from an external source. Would it not be incoming traffic? Or is it because the last interface is it hits is the LAN interface and it's "outgoing" from there?

The idea is i want to alert on SIEM level for IPS detections initiated by internal devices not comming from the external wan !! 

Please anyone can help in that!!

1 Solution
ezhupa
Staff
Staff

Hello Lonis23i, 

The direction field in the IPS logs is not to be mistaken with the direction or flow of the traffic.
The IPS log include the direction field to show the attack direction not the direction of traffic.
You can refer to the below documentation for more information:
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.0/new-features/199570/logging-session-versus-attack...

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ezhupa
Staff
Staff

Hello Lonis23i, 

The direction field in the IPS logs is not to be mistaken with the direction or flow of the traffic.
The IPS log include the direction field to show the attack direction not the direction of traffic.
You can refer to the below documentation for more information:
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.0/new-features/199570/logging-session-versus-attack...

Hope this helps!

Lonis23i
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for this details, so please what you think about the main goal. The idea is i want to alert on SIEM level for IPS detections initiated by internal devices not coming from the external wan !!. 

Jack_wack
New Contributor III

create an ips handler and filter on direction==outgoing

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors