Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
raffaeledp
New Contributor II

Difference between Fortigate DLP and FortiMail

Hello everybody, I've a simple question. Recently I've been working on a Fortigate 60E. On this device, I'm trying to set DLP. My question is:

Is the DLP security profile able to inspect the email from client such as Gmail, Outlook (desktop client) etc.?

If I've a credit card number inside the text of the email (or inside the attached file in the mail) is the DLP able to stop the mail? Or do I need FortiMail to achieve this scope?

I'm working with FortiOS 7.2.8.

Thank you!

RDP
RDP
2 REPLIES 2
darenha
New Contributor

Data leak isn’t the same as data exfiltration. There are many ways to exfil data and you need an assortment of tools to detect and block such an attack. A start on the fortigate is restricting outbound ports, no one needs SMB out to the internet for example https://omegle.onl/ .

raffaeledp
New Contributor II

So credit card number included in an email text is data exfiltration, right? And for this case what do I need? FortiMail?

RDP
RDP
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors