Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ricdgr
New Contributor

Device detection when routed

Hi, I have a Fortigate running on my network edge. My internal devices connect to an internal router (actually a Cisco 6500). Because of the former, the fortigate cannot see the mac addresses of the devices, just the one from the router. Is there a way to use the device detection features with this topology (maybe using a on-arm sniffer interface and a span on the router)? What would be the best setup to do it? Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

1st question, Why? What are you trying to do that requires thee need for mac_address? if you need mac_address, don' t use the 6500 as a layer3 vlan interface, and just pass the clients vlans over to the FGT.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ricdgr
New Contributor

Hi, It' s not me that want to get mac-address, but the Fortinet Device Control feature. When routed, I can only see a single device in " User & Device > Device > Device Definition" , with the mac address of my internal router. Regards
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

For Device Detection to work, you need to have a L2 network against the FortiGate, you cannot have a router or nat' ed device in between, then all devices would have the same MAC address. The feature works best in a small office/network that don´t require L3 switches etc...

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors