Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
clearscreen
New Contributor

Device definition : limit reached

Greetings, i' ve some trouble with device definition because of 10 maximal permanent device limitation. I do not speak about endpoint forticlient registration (limited to 10), but consider the counterpart on some other functions. It seems that you cannot have more than 10 permanent devices in User&Device / Device / Device Definitions. Thus, if you decide do set an alias for mac address you have on you lan, you cannot. It seems also that if you decide to make policy in order to grant rights only for, let' s say 13 devices on your network to access internet, you cannot. When i try to add a new device, the fortigate claims that " Maximum number of entries has been reached." So i perfectly understand to business constraint that endpoint registration is limited to 10 (by the way it appears that on 40C you connot purchase more), but on this class of device wich can hold more than 10 devices, why limit maximal permanent devices in device definitions ? Perhaps would it be possible to consider both " registered endpoint" and " permanent devices" (for device alias and group ownership) Maybe i' m missing something ? Thanks for answering Best regards.
1 REPLY 1
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi the max value is only visible and 10 Devices are for some dev max: http://docs-legacy.fortinet.com/fgt/handbook/50/5-0-4/max-values/max-values.html Works as designed :) One thing has nothing to do with other ones. The max values are often technical limitation of function regarding memory etc. a 40C is a " very" small device and -as of my opinion- only to be use for 1 - 3 Person very small Branche or home firewall but nothing for business 10 persons and more. Because of the technical limitation like memory etc. Fortinet limited the small devices like 20C/30D/40C to some very small max values as limitation on the gui. Up to the 60x you do not have anymore care about max values if you do not excesively use some functions. Again before you configure a small device like 20C/30D/40C consult the max value to verify if this what you would like to do is available or possible (example DNS Database is not useable on 40C). Again this limitation is not marketing stuff is related to a " very" small device with limitation on memory etc (memory 512 RAM). hope this helps have fun Andrea
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors