Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ddskier
Contributor

Detect Server vs RIP / OSPF

Currently we have an office that has two point-to-point links to our data center. We have fortinet firewalls on both ends of the P2P links. Our network design has the office using the highspeed P2P line, and then will failover to the second one. We accomplish this by using Fortinet' s detect server feature. (i.e. pinging) We are evaluated our options, and I was wondering if RIP or OSPF would allow us to perform this failover processing? Thoughts?

-DDSkier FCNSA, FCNSP FortiGate 400D, (2) 200D, (12) 100D, (2) 60D

3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

At the moment you are using static routes. When one FGT detects a line failure it deletes the corresponding route in it' s routing table and uses the other line. Same for the other side. This setup is so simple that a routing protocol could not possibly simplify it, could it? The only difference is that both sides have to use the detectserver feature. With RIP only one side would propagate the change. And that would take way longer.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
ddskier
Contributor

Don' t get me wrong the detect server is really simple. However, currently the detect server will only affect the IPv4 routing; it doesn' t do anything to IPv6. So I was exploring using a routing protocol to make up for the deficiency in the detect server for IPv6. I don’t have a lot of experience with RIP or OSPF so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

ddskier
Contributor

bump

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors